Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:34 PM   #26
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
So basicly they cancel the consolation project then turn around and bring back a new version of it?

This is not so much NASA fault as Washington fault for forcing NASA to keep redesigning late threw a process to something new as the political winds change.

My big question is what states is this new project going to be based in.
The big problem with Constellation was that it was massively over budget on just the development of the Ares I rocket. They didn't even begin development of the Ares V and the lunar module.

SLS is more flexible. Instead of developing multiple rockets to do different jobs( like the Saturn and Ares rocket family), the SLS will be able to do everything with variable configurations. Depending on the load that needs to be carried, the SLS can be configured with 3 SSME's, 4 SSME's, or 5 SSME's either with two 5 segment SRB's or the F-1 powered boosters if this plan goes through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Ya the article says for trips to the moon and mars, I thought that whole thing was scrapped.

Why not move on to the F-1a?
I am sure the F-1 will be upgraded just like Rocketdyne is doing with the J-2 engine with the upcoming J-2X.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:41 PM   #27
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
The big problem with Constellation was that it was massively over budget on just the development of the Ares I rocket. They didn't even begin development of the Ares V and the lunar module.

SLS is more flexible. Instead of developing multiple rockets to do different jobs( like the Saturn and Ares rocket family), the SLS will be able to do everything with variable configurations. Depending on the load that needs to be carried, the SLS can be configured with 3 SSME's, 4 SSME's, or 5 SSME's either with two 5 segment SRB's or the F-1 powered boosters if this plan goes through.

I am sure the F-1 will be upgraded just like Rocketdyne is doing with the J-2 engine with the upcoming J-2X.
So what is NASA's goal now, is it still the Moon and Mars just with a new vehicle strategy?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:50 PM   #28
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
So what is NASA's goal now, is it still the Moon and Mars just with a new vehicle strategy?
Whatever, it's still the 'ladyfinger' of space exploration, more like Solar system exploration.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:57 PM   #29
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Moon, Mars, and asteroids.

The first flight of the SLS in 2017 is probably going to be a LEO test flight. The next launch in 2021 will be manned and loop around the moon.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events