Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermarky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
(The tower kinda died on me and I realized I'd rather just be working on one computer than going back and forth between 2 systems and different releases of various applications anyway) :apple:

I've found a guide to removing the drive from the tower:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/PMG5_HD_DIY.pdf :p

I have already purchased a Vixen 3.5" SATA HDD External Enclosure for the drive. The pdf above says something about these dimensions/specs:

• Type: serial ATA
• Width: 3.9 inches (102 mm)
• Depth: 5.7 inches (147 mm)
• Height: 1.0 inch

Did I get the right size enclosure? :confused:

The Vixen comes with a guide to installing the drive, I'm happy to have discovered, since the first one I bought on ebay didn't. Between this and the pdf at least I won't need further help if I'm on the right track. :rolleyes:

I have another silver tower, I forget whether it was a G4 or G5, and a G3 or 2 and even some ye old beige plastic Power PCs. I'm cherishing the hope that the stuff that was lost on each of them when the computer went kaput, might soon be reclaimed. Is this too much to hope for? Will all the drives be the same size going that far back? :confused:

Thank you very much. This is my first post :)

Chris aka Supermarky
Los Angeles

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Long story short.. you will be able to access everything on the drive from the G5 once it's in the enclosure but not be able to boot from it.

Yes that is the right size enclosure for that drive. By the way.. there is no such thing as a "powerbook pro".

supermarky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Great thanks! Oh yeah power mac book. got it... I need to know my mac better...

I don't see where to tick off that this issue is now resolved. Maybe I can do it by modifying original post which had a box to check...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.