Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesberryjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
After trying out several calender apps, i thought i found a reasonable solution in Pocket Informant. However, this app has the tendency to lock itself up in either landscape or portrait mode. This happens often. It locks up and you can't rotate it anymore. You need to do a complete reboot to get it unlocked. Could this be a bug?

Another problem I've encounter is with the syncing. Apparently it only syncs with google when you launch the app. Eventhough there is a setting where you can let it autosync at a desired interval, it will fetch events only when you launch it. This means that when you create an event in google calender and don't open Pocket Informant, you will not receive an alarm or anything. This seems to be a problem with all other calender apps except for the stock ipad calender which is terrible.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
After trying out several calender apps, i thought i found a reasonable solution in Pocket Informant. However, this app has the tendency to lock itself up in either landscape or portrait mode. This happens often. It locks up and you can't rotate it anymore. You need to do a complete reboot to get it unlocked. Could this be a bug?

Another problem I've encounter is with the syncing. Apparently it only syncs with google when you launch the app. Eventhough there is a setting where you can let it autosync at a desired interval, it will fetch events only when you launch it. This means that when you create an event in google calender and don't open Pocket Informant, you will not receive an alarm or anything. This seems to be a problem with all other calender apps except for the stock ipad calender which is terrible.

I've never come across the orientation lockup and I use PI daily. Can't help you there but suggest you visit the Websis forums and speak to the debs there. They are usually very proactive with their help.

Re the sync issue, I hesitate to say this is rather obvious. PI needs to be running to sync with Google. Google doesn't sync with the native calendar but with PI (or any other 3rd party calendar app you're using). PI can't get the info unless running, as there isn't a backgrounding sync program. (However, there is a way around if you happen to have an additional computer always on. When I bothered with Google calendars I ran Spanningsync on a MacMini. This sync'd with Google and updated iCal, which then sync'd with MobileMe, which then sync'd with my iPhone. Alarms sorted. Convoluted I know but it was the only way I could get my alarms across. Needless to say, I don't bother with all that now and just run the internal iOS calendar through PI. Sorry this doesn't help you but just thought I'd share.

Last edited:

jamesberryjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
I've never come across the orientation lockup and I use PI daily. Can't help you there but suggest you visit the Websis forums and speak to the debs there. They are usually very proactive with their help.

Re the sync issue, I hesitate to say this is rather obvious. PI needs to be running to sync with Google. Google doesn't sync with the native calendar but with PI (or any other 3rd party calendar app you're using). PI can't get the info unless running, as there isn't a backgrounding sync program. (However, there is a way around if you happen to have an additional computer always on. When I bothered with Google calendars I ran Spanningsync on a MacMini. This sync'd with Google and updated iCal, which then sync'd with MobileMe, which then sync'd with my iPhone. Alarms sorted. Convoluted I know but it was the only way I could get my alarms across. Needless to say, I don't bother with all that now and just run the internal iOS calendar through PI. Sorry this doesn't help you but just thought I'd share.

Well, it's good to know after spending money on several calender apps to find out that none of them have background syncing. I'm just used to android devices that background sync the calender or any other app at any given intervals. This means i'll have to launch PI each time a create a new event in google or outlook for it to sync. Apparently i'll have to launch pretty much all my apps (rss, newspaper etc.) in the morning before i leave home.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Apparently i'll have to launch pretty much all my apps (rss, newspaper etc.) in the morning before i leave home.

Yep, that's how it goes. Sort of sucks but you get used to it. As I said, I got round the calendar sync issue by using MobileMe & having a mini running 24/7 but I appreciate not everyone wants to do that.

Bikepure

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
iPhone to ipad sync pocket informant

Does anyone know if I can simply add an entry to one device and it will appear on the other. It seems very hit and miss so far. Probably down to user error but I just want it be able to add a diary entry to the ipad and it show on the iPhone. Do I have to do this through iCal which is the diary I use. I have turned on the iCloud reminder sync?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.