Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salilsundresh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
In order to activate the power button I have to squeeze the phone together. Really annoying. :eek: Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to fix this so the person buying my phone next month (lets hope the iPhone 5 is here next month!) doesn't have to go through this pain like I do on a daily basis. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Here's a picture of the issue:
You'll also note my back cover has a piece missing that cracked off. Also, I had to replace the power button cover (silver piece of plastic) a few months ago.

IMG_7049.JPG

Last edited:

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
The chrome bezel is glued to the back cover. Just get some epoxy and stick it in there with a pin or toothpick. Use glue suitable for plastic and metal. Some of the guides may have a suggestion on which glue to use.

You also might want to take it apart first and make sure the power button is still placed right and the contact for it is still good. If you replaced the power button that might be the whole problem, knockoff parts might not be the same shape as origional and have problems depressing or hitting the switch correctly.

salilsundresh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
The chrome bezel is glued to the back cover. Just get some epoxy and stick it in there with a pin or toothpick. Use glue suitable for plastic and metal. Some of the guides may have a suggestion on which glue to use.

You also might want to take it apart first and make sure the power button is still placed right and the contact for it is still good. If you replaced the power button that might be the whole problem, knockoff parts might not be the same shape as origional and have problems depressing or hitting the switch correctly.

Nah, the new part was working fine till I had the genius idea of considering opening my iphone to replace the battery (i changed my mind after hearing about incompatibility issues and with the iphone 5 just around the corner...). I actually didn't replace the button itself but rather the little silver piece of plastic that presses down on a sensor to activate sleep/wake functions.

Thanks for the tip on the epoxy, what do you think will super glue work just as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.