Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appletea5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
hi, i've recently bought a macbook pro and there were no problems when connecting to the internet via wifi. however when i go further away from the router (e.g its downstairs but try to access from upstairs) i get a 'connection timeout' and no internet. the macbook can detect the wifi (it will have a couple bars) but i will not be able to connect to the internet, just a message saying 'connection timeout'. only when relatively close to the router does the internet work fine. is this normal? its pretty inconvenient, any suggestions as to what i can do? thank you

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
hi, i've recently bought a macbook pro and there were no problems when connecting to the internet via wifi. however when i go further away from the router (e.g its downstairs but try to access from upstairs) i get a 'connection timeout' and no internet. the macbook can detect the wifi (it will have a couple bars) but i will not be able to connect to the internet, just a message saying 'connection timeout'. only when relatively close to the router does the internet work fine. is this normal? its pretty inconvenient, any suggestions as to what i can do? thank you

Routers are not 100 perfect the have "dead spots mine doesnt work in some rooms in my house either on my MacBook pro or other people in my house on their pcs laptops

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Are you running Lion? There have been several issues with WiFi and Lion - nothing to do there.

One thing to try is to change the broadcast channel of the router. Perhaps that might fix it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
this ONLY happens for me with my new mbp and a 5ghz connection.
try using 2.4, see if that helps.

for me, the 5g connect gave me endless problems: timeout errors, no connection. and computer freezes (black screen, but computer still on).

switched to the 2.4 connect and NO problems. and truthfully, speed (at least) feels the same...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.