Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Hello,

I want to sell my iPhone 4 but not sure how to prepare it. It is currently JB and on 4.3.2. If I restore it, won't iTunes force me to install the newest fw and thus killing my JB? or can I load the same version back on and save the ability to JB the phone?

Also, how would I erase my data so that the new owner can't recover it? (just in case).

thanks,

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I typically just do a factory restore on my iPhones before selling them. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find a jailbreak for the latest release, unless I'm just really out of the loop on when the last jailbreak tools released.

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
I typically just do a factory restore on my iPhones before selling them. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find a jailbreak for the latest release, unless I'm just really out of the loop on when the last jailbreak tools released.

yeah, thats what I did back in the day as well but the newest fw is only JB-able as a tethered solution. Mine is untethered so its more convenient.

I remember reading that a typical restore of the phone will still leave traces of data on your phone that can be easily restored by someone. I was hoping there was a wipe technique or something that people do before selling to make it more secure.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
No point in worrying about being jailbreak capable. Im all for it but in reality nearly nobody even knows what "jail breaking" is nor care. iOS 5 fixes a huge number of the selling points for JB also. Just restore it through iTunes, your data's completely erased, and call it a day. Selling a jailbroken phone will just cause probs for the buyer if the probability is that they won't have a clue what to do with it.

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
U can go back and install whatever fw version u have saved shsh blobs.

oh yes. that. I gotta find a guide on it.

so I guess, restore via iTunes to wipe it, then go back and downgrade to 4.3.2 and jb and sell? that sounds like a secure way of doing it.

----------

No point in worrying about being jailbreak capable. Im all for it but in reality nearly nobody even knows what "jail breaking" is nor care. iOS 5 fixes a huge number of the selling points for JB also. Just restore it through iTunes, your data's completely erased, and call it a day. Selling a jailbroken phone will just cause probs for the buyer if the probability is that they won't have a clue what to do with it.

hmm. ok. I dont' know, I thought ppl would care if it could be JB or not. But yeah, its getting close to IP5 so I need to take action soon.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
oh yes. that. I gotta find a guide on it.

so I guess, restore via iTunes to wipe it, then go back and downgrade to 4.3.2 and jb and sell? that sounds like a secure way of doing it.

----------

You don't even have to upgrade and downgrade.
You can download the 4.3.2 Ipsw ( or what ever version yu have the shsh blobs for) then option+ click (Mac) or shift+click (windows) restore and load up the Ipsw you just downloaded....

Oh make sure you use tiny umbrella first so your pointing to a local server rather than apples.

sorepheet

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
East Coast
:eek:

Settings...General...Reset...Erase All Content and Settings

That gets rid of your personal data

I've had issues with this method with my jailbroken iOS devices, better to just download the newest iOS you have SHSH blobs for and restore with that iOS using Tiny Umbrella.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.