Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordJim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
I still have the charger from my old MBP (early 08, pre-unibody) at my desk, making using my new MBA all the more convenient; I don't have to move a charager around if I have one in multiple spots of my house. Is this safe to do? Is it bad for my battery?

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
Yes, it should be safe

Hi there. I used to have a 2009 17" MBP, so I bought a spare adapter for it. Fast-forward two years, and I still have the spare at my desk for charging my 13" MBA when stationary. The adapter that came with the MBA is now my travel adapter.

Hope this helps!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes, it's fine.

Consider the Apple Cinema Displays (and new Thunderbolt Display) which provide a magsafe charging connector. They're good for all magsafe Macbooks and don't have any caveats AFAIK. It stands to reason then that only only real limitation is not using an under-rated charger i.e. a 45W MBA charger on a MBP requiring a 60W or 85W supply.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I still have the charger from my old MBP (early 08, pre-unibody) at my desk, making using my new MBA all the more convenient; I don't have to move a charager around if I have one in multiple spots of my house. Is this safe to do? Is it bad for my battery?
Yes, it's safe. No, it's not bad for your battery.

From: Intel-Based Apple Portables: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord--US
Power adapters for Intel-based Apple portables are available in 45W, 60W, and 85W varieties. Although you should always use the proper wattage adapter for your Apple portable, you can use an adapter of a higher wattage without issue.
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.