Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
When I connected via Screen Share and clicked Restart on my PowerMac FTP/Media server a few minutes ago, it said something to the extent of 'There are 3 users connected to your shares, do you wish to disconnect them?'

I know for a fact I'm the only who was connected (to my current knowledge anyways), and there's only one other person who can log-in to my FTP server, but he wasn't connected. It's worrying me that someone outside my network has gotten into my server that shouldn't be in there. :confused:

I've closed the port on my router so no one can access my server outside my network, but I'm freaked out, and would like an explanation....

Am I worrying for nothing? Is this a common Mac OS issue/antic?

I'm running Mac OS 10.4 on the server btw.
Lion on my Mac Mini.

Thanks.
-Alex :apple:

EDIT 1: Just updated the server to 10.4.11, and checked some log files from the past few days, I see nothing about any users accessing the server but myself? Weird...

Last edited:

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
I have had that appear as well on my Lion Server. My suspicion is that some devices on my network access services as a guest and appear therefore as multiple users. I'm sure there's a more accurate description than that, but its the theory I'm operating under at the moment.

donok

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
Getting the same...

I just started getting the same message. It seems to be coming from my laptop - which had no volumes opened. I ran in terminal:

netstat -a -p tcp | grep afp | grep ESTABLISHED | awk {'print $5'}

and it printed back:

My AirPort tells me .16 is my laptop... Maybe iTunes? Seems like a Lion bug.

-- Don

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If you have any Apple TV's or have home sharing turned on there may be other mac devices on the subnet that are listed as "users" due to home sharing regardless of whether they are actually connected. This is due to handshaking.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've had a problem with Lion (which I reported to apple.com/feedback) where if I connect to a share that is already connected I get a duplicate share. This could have the server think that multiple users are connected, but I haven't checked that out.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Well,

If you have any Apple TV's or have home sharing turned on there may be other mac devices on the subnet that are listed as "users" due to home sharing regardless of whether they are actually connected. This is due to handshaking.

I do have an AppleTV2 with Home Sharing on. That may explain a bit. Thank you for your input!

EDIT 1: With your help, I may have just resolved my own question.
I have my iTunes library streaming from the server (one user), AppleTV with Home Sharing on (two users), and I have AirPlay running iTunes streams to my speaker system via AirPort Express (three users). I also use my iPhone or iPad to control my iTunes remotely.. Could that explain it?

Last edited:

sbessel

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
I searched for a long time to find the answer to this...

I found this command to be the most helpful

Run this in terminal on the server: (just enter your password as directed)
Code:
sudo serveradmin command afp:command = getConnectedUsers

It should help understand who the users are and the related services.

Scott

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.