Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:48 AM   #1
dingclancy
macrumors newbie

Chrome vs Safari for Battery Life

Hello all,

Proud new convert from here. Loving my 13" MBA

Anyway, I have been reading a lot about battery life and I noticed the battery drains much faster if you have Chrome open than using Safari.

I love Chrome for its speed and extensions. It is also the only Windows-based workflow that I really like. However, shutting down Chrome and using Safari gives me at least 2 hrs more battery life.

Is it just me or is my observation correct?
dingclancy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:57 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Did you actually measure the time you got on battery with similar browsing habits between Chrome and Safari? Or you just going by the meaningless "Time Remaining" statistic?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:17 AM   #3
bill-p
macrumors 65816

It's just you.

Time yourself, and you'll see that Chrome is just about as much of a battery-sucker as Safari. At least under Lion.

Now, if you were on Snow Leopard, it is true that running Safari instead of Chrome would net you at least 2 hours. Provided you don't run Flash, that is.
bill-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:28 AM   #4
aleni
macrumors 68000

both are battery life sucker, but what annoys me about safari is this thing keeps reloading all the damn tabs!

Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:47 AM   #5
Namysome
macrumors newbie

What do mean it keeps reloading all the tabs? Are you talking about resume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleni View Post
both are battery life sucker, but what annoys me about safari is this thing keeps reloading all the damn tabs!

Namysome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:45 AM   #6
risc
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleni View Post

option + command + q will fix that
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:53 AM   #7
JR1993
macrumors regular

I use safari. With safari, mail and twitter open I have had >7hrs battery life, sometimes 8 hours. I have click2flash too, which helps. I can get really good life out of mine, and it is the ultimate 13"
JR1993 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:41 AM   #8
shznit
macrumors member

Chrome has flash built in so if you have tabs where flash frames are playing of course if will drain more battery. Enable "click-to-play" for plugins and the battery life will be much closer to Safari.
shznit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 11:15 AM   #9
bbhegedus
macrumors regular

I uninstalled Flash player and seriously get double the battery life that I used to. Since Chrome has Flash preinstalled I only use it if I need to watch videos that I can't get Safari to convert into HTML5. Even with Click to Flash turned on in Chrome, I get about 2 hours less battery life when using it as opposed to Safari. I'm running the beta Safari 5.2 on Lion and, in my opinion, it runs just as fast as Chrome.

Apple is really taking Safari places. It manages memory and CPU well, while still being fast. Without Flash, I love Safari. Just install the YouTube5 plugin and you'll be happy to have left Chrome behind Processor even runs about 10 degrees CELSIUS cooler with Safari as opposed to Chrome.
bbhegedus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 01:44 PM   #10
mikeytrend
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risc View Post
option + command + q will fix that
I think he's talking about when Safari randomly decides it needs to "force reload" all of your tabs. Similar to what iOS does when you haven't looked at an open website in awhile.
Old May 31, 2012, 03:33 PM   #11
henry72
macrumors 6502a

Safari is much better, especially with 15 and 17 inch MacBook Pro, Chrome will automatically switch it to the powerful graphic card. (I know you can get an app to "Force" the Mac to Intel, but for the average users they don't know about this

For the Air shouldn't make a lot of different

Personally I prefer Safari mainly because it is Apple app, and it Sync my bookmarks with iCloud across all my iOS devices and the smooth gesture on OS X Lion

Just my 2 cents.
Old May 31, 2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Surely

I used Safari exclusively until they updated to 5, but then switched to Chrome because I didn't like the way the pages rendered when I went back or forward.

That being said, I haven't noticed a difference in battery life at all between the two.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air