Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jay77hk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Hi,

I just received my Thunderbolt screen last saturday and would like to know if someone has succeeded turning on only the Thunderbolt screen.

It the pref settings it's only possible to copy the macbook air screen to the Thunderbolt one at 1440 x 900.

I don't want to use both screen as the 27" is big enough to me.

Thanks,

----------

And for exemple, it's impossible to play games like CIV 5 on the thunderbolt screen, it keeps staying on my macbook air

enigma2k

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Apple does not offer an option to deactivate the MBA screen while plugged into another display.
The best workaround to deactivate the MBA display while plugged in, however, is to put a very weak magnet right between the audio out and the usb connector on the left side. This simulates as if the MBA is closed in clamshell mode.

Another question to you: could you tell me how long the thunderbolt cable from the display is?

KScottMyers

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL
Hi,

I just received my Thunderbolt screen last saturday and would like to know if someone has succeeded turning on only the Thunderbolt screen.

It the pref settings it's only possible to copy the macbook air screen to the Thunderbolt one at 1440 x 900.

I don't want to use both screen as the 27" is big enough to me.

Thanks,

----------

And for exemple, it's impossible to play games like CIV 5 on the thunderbolt screen, it keeps staying on my macbook air

This may possibly help. http://wp.me/ps4An-2VH

Last edited:

jay77hk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Apple does not offer an option to deactivate the MBA screen while plugged into another display.
The best workaround to deactivate the MBA display while plugged in, however, is to put a very weak magnet right between the audio out and the usb connector on the left side. This simulates as if the MBA is closed in clamshell mode.

Another question to you: could you tell me how long the thunderbolt cable from the display is?

Just slightly above a meter long

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Plus the display in, with an external keyboard or mouse in the USB ports, leave the laptop closed and just wake it with the keyboard.

It's called Clamshell mode. And you don't have to mirror the display, you can use both at the same time at their own native resolutions (I do this with a 2048x1156 monitor + the 1440x900 of the MBA). To switch the "main" monitor, just drag the menu bar in the "Arrange" section of the Display preference panel in System Settings :

displaySettingsMacOS_sm.gif

And see that checkbox on the bottom ? That's how you disable Mirrored displays. Then you can use them independently at the same time.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I can't recommend using the Air in clamshell mode with the lid closed as it runs much hotter this way and the fans really go up.

Instead use the magnet method as I described above - much better.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I can't recommend using the Air in clamshell mode with the lid closed as it runs much hotter this way and the fans really go up.

Just open up the lid once you've got it going if you're really that worried. No need for magnets. The screen on the MBA will stay off and it'll still be in Clamshell mode even with the lid open.

Anyway, there is nothing to worry about as far as heat and fans go. You people are much too worried about such things. Blast the CPU at 100%, let the heat rise and the fans spin up, it's all designed to work that way. The electronics won't suffer any damage.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Just open up the lid once you've got it going if you're really that worried. No need for magnets. The screen on the MBA will stay off and it'll still be in Clamshell mode even with the lid open.

Anyway, there is nothing to worry about as far as heat and fans go. You people are much too worried about such things. Blast the CPU at 100%, let the heat rise and the fans spin up, it's all designed to work that way. The electronics won't suffer any damage.

the method you are describing does not work in LION anymore - only with a workaround in the terminal you can get this working again.

I don't care about the hardware itself as i am buying the new model every year anyway - what I care about, however ,are my ears as I prefer silence. ;)

beiderman

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011

FYI, Clamshell mode won't work on Lion. The screen will turn on when you open the lid.

sportherz

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
MBA with Thunderbolt Display fans off?

Has anybody managed to have the new MBA with the thunderbolt display running without the fans going on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.