Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zh2

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
In a house in England.
Hi,

I like that! Could you please add some information about the type of camera used, the type of tripod used and also... some general stuff about just how you do that? Thanks awfully in advance old bean!!!

Regards.

Z.

Flore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Dubai
Hey, thanks for the comment.
It was made with an Olympus E-5 and an E-520.
You can do this with any camera, but it kinda needs to be remote controlled.
Most DSLRs can do that, just get the matching remote.

Then you set up the tripod (Manfrotto in my case) and set the remote to one shot each couple of seconds, depends on the scene. Let it run for half an hour and you got your scene. Just move the shots over to your computer and use any video editing software to make a video out of all the pictures (1 frame for each shot).

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more details.

Zh2

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
In a house in England.
Bloomin' Marvellous!

Thanks for that. I have never even opened the application but I assume that iMovie on a Mac will do this for me?

Regards once more.

Z

BillMidwest

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Excellent

A great example of creativity and skill!

What interval setting did you use when taking the images?

Did you use the same interval for both day and night images?

Thanks for sharing this!

@Zh2: QuickTime Pro 7 can create image sequence videos. (I'm using 10.6.8, I don't know what's available in 10.7). Under File in QT 7 select Open Image Sequence... Select the first image in your sequenced images folder and click Open; select a frame rate - try 1 or 2 frames per second, you'll have to experiment with this setting, click OK and QT creates a video of your images.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Here are two I've done over the years.

I used my MBP and an external iSight to do LA to Vancouver BC in Ten Minutes. The link also explains what my setup was.

I recently used my iPod touch and software I'm writing to do Vancouver Canada.

Here is a picture of my rigging for the iPod at Crater Lake. One does what one must. :D
DSC09471djr.jpg

I haven't found a tripod fitting for the iPod, although there are many for the iPhones.

----------

I have never even opened the application but I assume that iMovie on a Mac will do this for me?

iMovie doesn't have the precision one would want. It can only go down to something like 5 frames per image. You want to be able to use one image per frame. Many people pay for the the Pro license for QuickTime 7 Pro which allows you to import a collection of photos, one photo per frame, and output a QuickTime video.

Last edited:

coryndiego

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Astro Timelapse

This is my first timelapse and I learned a lot especially with a bright moon and clouds involved. I got a little fidgity and messed with the exposure a few times but it turned out pretty good for my first.
This thread is a nice addition!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48012733@N02/6150584142/

The original is brighter but the compression during upload darkened it a little.

Last edited:

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Hey - I thought it's a pity we don't have a thread for timelapse videos here, anyone has given this a try? Here is my latest one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YynqzTERbo

Let me know what you think and post yours too!

Was all the panning/zooming done digitally, or did you have an actual dolly when shooting it?

Bloomin' Marvellous!

Thanks for that. I have never even opened the application but I assume that iMovie on a Mac will do this for me?

Regards once more.

Z

I think iMovie has an option for this, but you don't even need that! QuickTime has a built in option for time lapses, but I'm not sure where it is in QuickTime X, so I always use QuickTime 7 for those.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Hey - I thought it's a pity we don't have a thread for timelapse videos here, anyone has given this a try? Here is my latest one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YynqzTERbo

Let me know what you think and post yours too!

This is utterly fantastic work. The fact that each scene would itself work as an interesting and well-composed still frame strikes me as the fundamental reason it works so well. Starting from that point and *then* adding on the timelapse element in a scene with a lot of great activity, and then a great backing track just layers on even more goodness. Really well done! I love it.

Flore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Dubai
A great example of creativity and skill!

What interval setting did you use when taking the images?

Did you use the same interval for both day and night images?

Thanks for sharing this!

@Zh2: QuickTime Pro 7 can create image sequence videos. (I'm using 10.6.8, I don't know what's available in 10.7). Under File in QT 7 select Open Image Sequence... Select the first image in your sequenced images folder and click Open; select a frame rate - try 1 or 2 frames per second, you'll have to experiment with this setting, click OK and QT creates a video of your images.

Hey Bill, thanks for the comment. I mostly used two or three seconds, sometimes 5. In that range. I changed depending on the amount of movement in the scene and how much I anticipated I had to speed it up later.

As for Quicktime Pro - indeed that is what a lot of people use, then load it into AE of FCP for further editing. Normally you would use 1 frame per image or 24 images per second.

Very nicely done, great music to go along!

Thanks, credit goes to The XX.

Here are two I've done over the years.

iMovie doesn't have the precision one would want. It can only go down to something like 5 frames per image. You want to be able to use one image per frame. Many people pay for the the Pro license for QuickTime 7 Pro which allows you to import a collection of photos, one photo per frame, and output a QuickTime video.

Interesting doing this with an iSight or iPhone. Got to say though a DSLR gives you lot more flexibility of course.

Seconding on iMovie. I have not tried it but I think Quicktime will do a nice job, you can still cut etc in iMovie then.

I found that Final Cut Pro X has major issues if you tell it to load 5000 images - that becomes a pain. So I'd do the video in Quicktime in full size, then open a 1080p timeline and do the editing in FCP.

Was all the panning/zooming done digitally, or did you have an actual dolly when shooting it?

Digitally. I do intend to get a dolly, it's awesome for urban or nature scenes.
In that case though, even the tripod was a hassle with the amount of people.
Often, digitally is sufficient I think.

This is utterly fantastic work. The fact that each scene would itself work as an interesting and well-composed still frame strikes me as the fundamental reason it works so well. Starting from that point and *then* adding on the timelapse element in a scene with a lot of great activity, and then a great backing track just layers on even more goodness. Really well done! I love it.

Thanks for the comment :) It's a big advantage if you have taken "normal" photos before.

----------

It's really cool this thread had such a good start!
Let's see if we can keep it alive.

I am gonna post my second timelapse later - which actually was the first I have ever done.

coryndiego

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Astro Timelapse

This is my first timelapse and I learned a lot especially with a bright moon and clouds involved. I got a little fidgity and messed with the exposure a few times but it turned out pretty good for my first.
This thread is a nice addition!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48012733@N02/6150584142/

The original is brighter but the compression during upload darkened it a little.

YouTube handled it much better and 720P - http://youtu.be/i_eOhbaRqoU (but an annoying green line)

coryndiego

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Interesting. May I be so bold to suggest that the interval between frames maybe a bit long. A shorter one would give a nicer movie I think. What was the interval?

You may. I was playing around with frame rates to see which one looked better. I also posted one at 24fps.

The first posted consists of 477 shots at 20 second intervals with the movie at 10fps. I also made a 30fps but it seemed too quick.

I shot them at 20 sec intervals thinking less time in-between would show more of the birds movement. They don't stay in one place very long so 30 sec seemed too long.

24fps
http://youtu.be/47LihizXNjI

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
You may. I was playing around with frame rates to see which one looked better. I also posted one at 24fps.

The first posted consists of 477 shots at 20 second intervals with the movie at 10fps. I also made a 30fps but it seemed too quick.

I shot them at 20 sec intervals thinking less time in-between would show more of the birds movement. They don't stay in one place very long so 30 sec seemed too long.

24fps

What I'm suggesting is instead of 20 second intervals, try something much less. Say 5 to 10 second intervals. The subjects make it challenging. ;)

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
Some of the best nature based time lapse video you'll ever see is over at Timescapes. Here's their trailer:
http://timescapes.org/trailer.asp

I've made a few time-lapse videos using a Canon XSI. I just bought a go pro and after I try a few with that I may choose to sell the Canon. I'll have to wait and see how they compare.

Flore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Dubai

24fps

Interesting idea!

Couple of points that might help:
1) Always use at least 24fps.
2) The interval really depends a lot on the scene you are shooting - for instance a star timelapse can have a 30 second interval and look totally smooth. But in this case I would use 1 or 2 seconds even, these birds move fast. That also means it will look "slower" at 24fps.

I think though this scene is not 100% perfect for timelapse, where you tend to have slower movements and make them visible via speeding up by shooting at intervals. For this, an actual movie and then just speeding up might be easier and look better due to the rapid movements :)

----------

Here is a video of the first timelapse scenes I ever did.
It features some beautiful seascapes and sunsets of Madagascar, enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/27618302

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.