Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

thunderbolt.jpg

Apple yesterday released a pair of Thunderbolt updates, improving stability of the company's new Apple Thunderbolt Display and bringing compatibility with the display and other Thunderbolt-related improvements to machines running Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

- Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update (923 KB):
This update improves the stability of the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

The updater application will be installed in the Utilities folder inside the Application folder and will be launched automatically when you close this installer.

Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process.
- Thunderbolt Software Update (Snow Leopard) (65.48 MB):
This update provides support for the Apple Thunderbolt Display and bug fixes for Thunderbolt device compatibility.
The Snow Leopard Thunderbolt update requires Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Thunderbolt Firmware and Software Updates

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I don't suppose that Thunderbolt firmware update for the Thunderbolt Display brings miniDP Display output compatibility?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I don't suppose that Thunderbolt firmware update for the Thunderbolt Display brings miniDP Display output compatibility?

Whats not working, direct to DisplayPort devices? I use a miniDP to HDMI adapter with my 2011 Macbook Air and a 24" Samsung monitor with success (before and after prior update).

Last edited:

Mac American

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
Whats not working, direct to DisplayPort devices? I use a miniDP to HDMI adapter with my 2011 Macbook Air and a 24" Samsung monitor with success (before and after prior update).

One of the big issues, at least for me, was you could not plug a second miniDP monitor into the thunderbolt monitor, which was a big let down for people, because in all theory it should work.

Thankfully I bought my at the Apple store, and am going to return it if this is in fact true, because I'm not spending $999 when I have a perfectly good cinema display. The Apple genius thought it would work.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
One of the big issues, at least for me, was you could not plug a second miniDP monitor into the thunderbolt monitor, which was a big let down for people, because in all theory it should work.

Wow. If the Mac you have supports it, then that would be a big issue and I'd agree on the TB display going back until it's proven to work. (assuming here you have a mac that supports doing this; I hadn't thought of that as my Macbook Air only supports one external display regardless).

arturo175

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Not working

Still not working ok on the dell u2711, when i come back from sleep mode the u2711 turns on but never shows image, i need to unplug it! cant even turn it off an no button would work. Lame!

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple yesterday released a pair of Thunderbolt updates, improving stability of the company's new Apple Thunderbolt Display and bringing compatibility with the display and other Thunderbolt-related improvements to machines running Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

- Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update (923 KB):- Thunderbolt Software Update (Snow Leopard) (65.48 MB):The Snow Leopard Thunderbolt update requires Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Thunderbolt Firmware and Software Updates

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Still not working ok on the dell u2711, when i come back from sleep mode the u2711 turns on but never shows image, i need to unplug it! cant even turn it off an no button would work. Lame!

My Dell u2711 works fine on the 2011 MacBook Air and the 2011 Mac Mini. What cables are you using? I am using the Dell provided Display Port cable and a Gefen Display Port to Mini Display Port adapter.

arturo175

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Would that be the problem?? I bought some cable in the ebay, a mini display port to display port, not using the one provided by dell. Hmm I will try to get the mini display port adapter that you tell me and see if that solves my problem. Really annoying, however, i read other forums of people having the same problem. Could a cable cause the issue??

My Dell u2711 works fine on the 2011 MacBook Air and the 2011 Mac Mini. What cables are you using? I am using the Dell provided Display Port cable and a Gefen Display Port to Mini Display Port adapter.

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Would that be the problem?? I bought some cable in the ebay, a mini display port to display port, not using the one provided by dell. Hmm I will try to get the mini display port adapter that you tell me and see if that solves my problem. Really annoying, however, i read other forums of people having the same problem. Could a cable cause the issue??

Yes, I have heard of particular cables causing issues. The ONLY reason I purchased this adapter and used the Dell cable is because I found post somewhere stating that this combination worked well. NOTE: I have to turn on the display BEFORE the Mac Mini (not the case on the Air) or it won't recognize the Dell display. I wait for the blue lights to scan up and down before I turn on the Mini.

Here is the adapter I purchased:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...DP_2_DPF_Mini_DisplayPort_to_DisplayPort.html

----------

Please let us know! You'd be a big help to me!

Have a free evening after work tomorrow. I will be testing both the Dell 2408 and 2405 24" displays. Stay tuned...

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Typing this while viewing the forum on the Dell 2408 with the above mentioned cables. Displays looks good with sharp text and no problems.

UPDATE: I just hooked up the Dell 2408 via HDMI and while the text is sharp, the colors are way off and too vibrant.

Last edited:

arturo175

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thanks man! I will give it a try really and see what happens.

Yes, I have heard of particular cables causing issues. The ONLY reason I purchased this adapter and used the Dell cable is because I found post somewhere stating that this combination worked well. NOTE: I have to turn on the display BEFORE the Mac Mini (not the case on the Air) or it won't recognize the Dell display. I wait for the blue lights to scan up and down before I turn on the Mini.

Here is the adapter I purchased:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...DP_2_DPF_Mini_DisplayPort_to_DisplayPort.html

----------

Have a free evening after work tomorrow. I will be testing both the Dell 2408 and 2405 24" displays. Stay tuned...

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks man! I will give it a try really and see what happens.

Also, I have my old PC hooked up to the u2711 via DVI. Sometimes I switch over from the displayport to DVI to use the PC and the Mac goes to sleep. When I switch back, a click of the mouse button is all that's needed to wake it up.

lagunab

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Thunderbolt Sleep Issue

After I received my new Thunderbolt monitor I noticed a very strange problem on morning wakeup. My Wifi was frozen, my Time Machine drive attached to the TB monitor was unresponsive and I could not reboot the MacBook Pro 13" that it was attached to this monitor. After making sure all updates were in place for the TB monitor etc. and seeing no change, I connected a MBA to the TB input and again let it sleep over night. The problem was the same. If one disconnected the TB monitor the computer returns immediately to life.
I suspect that the TB monitor is holding the PCIe bus and stalling all transfers because of either a bad firmware wake up sequence or it could be a hardware failure. Current plan is to return the TB monitor for replacement or examination. Short term fix is just unplug the TB monitor and replace it. Interestingly the problem ONLY occurs with an overnight sleep. Multi-hour daytime sleep does not replicate the problem.

lagunab

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
After I received my new Thunderbolt monitor I noticed a very strange problem on morning wakeup. My Wifi was frozen, my Time Machine drive attached to the TB monitor was unresponsive and I could not reboot the MacBook Pro 13" that it was attached to this monitor. After making sure all updates were in place for the TB monitor etc. and seeing no change, I connected a MBA to the TB input and again let it sleep over night. The problem was the same. If one disconnected the TB monitor the computer returns immediately to life.
I suspect that the TB monitor is holding the PCIe bus and stalling all transfers because of either a bad firmware wake up sequence or it could be a hardware failure. Current plan is to return the TB monitor for replacement or examination. Short term fix is just unplug the TB monitor and replace it. Interestingly the problem ONLY occurs with an overnight sleep. Multi-hour daytime sleep does not replicate the problem.
Got a new Thunderbolt monitor and it seems to have solved the problem of wake up bus stalls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.