Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:20 PM   #1
realchimera
macrumors regular

Malware scan apps on Mac?

What's the best Malware app on Mac? Is it necessary to use it?
realchimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:22 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by realchimera View Post
What's the best Malware app on Mac? Is it necessary to use it?
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus/antimalware software to protect Mac OS X from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
Mac Virus/Malware Info
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:23 PM   #3
John T
macrumors 68020

As has been stated ad nauseam, malware apps are not necessary on Macs.
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:30 PM   #4
realchimera
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus/antimalware software to protect Mac OS X from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
Mac Virus/Malware Info

I don't use on either my PC or Mac. But since Spyware/malware are everywhere, I do scan spywares on my PC on regular base. How come there's not even spyware in OS x...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:32 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by realchimera View Post
I don't use on either my PC or Mac. But since Spyware/malware are everywhere, I do scan spywares on my PC on regular base. How come there's not even spyware in OS x...
The only Mac OS X malware that exists in the wild requires that you actively install it. As long as you don't install pirated software or software from untrusted sources, you won't have to worry about malware. Read the link I posted. It should answer all your questions.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:09 PM   #6
realchimera
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The only Mac OS X malware that exists in the wild requires that you actively install it. As long as you don't install pirated software or software from untrusted sources, you won't have to worry about malware. Read the link I posted. It should answer all your questions.
Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help