Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waltervt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Valencia, Spain
Hi everybody and thank you for reading!

I bought a brand new MacBook Pro 13.3 (4GB RAM, 250GB HD, 2.53GHz Dual Core Processor) from an iStore on December 2009. It was a Xmas present from me to myself. I use it mainly for music-video recording and editing, also have music and movies and other stuff. I'm not much of a gamer, but I do play some Diablo or Halo occasionally.

I have an upgrade of 500GB HD and 8GB RAM on the way, so I was thinking on getting a bluetooth mouse as well. I want it to be bluetooth so it won't have to take one of the USB ports.

My first choice was Apple's Magic Mouse, but since it's pretty expensive and I don't need all the multi-touch features (as I already have them on the trackpad) I moved to the Mighty Mouse. That one is discontinued, but I could get one for $37,99 at OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MB111ZMAU/), is not new but it says Used/Excellent Condition. I've heard some people complain about it's connection while gaming and also the scroll ball getting messed up, and other people say that it's overrated because it's just an "expensive normal mouse".

Then I searched for other Bluetooth mice that would be Mac compatible and would match my MBP, silver or grey colour. So my best result was Targus' Bluetooth(R) Laser Mouse for Mac(R) AMB08. I think it looks great, it's more precise, it has a 4-way scroll as well, customizable buttons and it's built for Mac! It goes for $35,99 (http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?sku=AMB08US), which is cheaper that the MM and it's brand new.

I like the trackpad for regular use, but some things would go a lot faster with a mouse, ie. photoshop, premiere pro, garageband, games, etc. I've almost decided on the Targus one, but I'd like to hear you opinion about it.

Thank you for reading and I hope you can help me!

Cheers.

Walter

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Get a Logitech mouse with Darkfield laser technology.

Or check ebay for the magic mouse / mighty mouse.

Edit:

My Logitech mouse gets me a year on a single battery.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The dont make a Darkfield with Bluetooth. Only one with the 2.4ghz wireless dongle.

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
IMO, even though you have the trackpad, having the gesture capabilities on the Apple Magic Mouse is a real plus. I found myself using the gestures so often and naturally. So yea, its not a cheap mouse, but definitely worth it.

As another poster said earlier, you can look on eBay or Craigs for a used or new one. Personally, with mice and keyboards being touched all the time with use, I would rather not get a used one. Its almost as bad a buying a used condom.

Also, expercom.com has the Magic Mouse on sale still for $49+$7.80/shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.