Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datumax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
In light of this:

OWC 2011 MacBook Pro 16gb Kit

Has anyone tried these?:

Elpida 2 x 8gb Kit

On Alibaba (which is where I'm assuming the vendor got them from).

Or am I going to have to be the first?

The only difference I can tell so far is that the Elpida's CAS Latency is 7 whereas the OWC is 9. Stock is 9, right?

Does that mean the Elpida will run faster/hotter?

Any insight before I nuke my logic board would be appreciated!

P.S. It looks like this ended auction shows these chips in a 2011 Sandy Bridge MBP.

datumax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Couldn't help myself.

aboutmymbp.png

aboutmymbp2.png

aboutmymbp3.png

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Yes me too :D
Actually, why do you need 16GB? Will it perform faster than 8GB?

I find it quite funny as well. OP use the money towards the RAMs instead or the high end 15-inch model.

It wont make it faster, but able to have more stable multitasking.
Still I dont feel like spending more than 200 dollar on a RAM lol
I would buy a SSD for 500

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Same. I bet in 2 years it will be like 200 from 1.6K in newegg.

Nah I reckon it will happen in 1 year :) well I hope :D 2 years later would be like 100 or less :)
Is not a "must have" for me at the moment but it looks cool on "About This Mac" like the screenshot on top lol

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Nah I reckon it will happen in 1 year :) well I hope :D 2 years later would be like 100 or less :)
Is not a "must have" for me at the moment but it looks cool on "About This Mac" like the screenshot on top lol

But by the time 16GB becomes affordable, Mac supports 32GB lol

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So I take it you didn't buy this because you needed the upgrade?

In case I misinterpreted your reason in making this upgrade, would you say the upgrade was worth it in terms of speeding up your workflow? What is in your normal use?

mankymanning

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
I just bought a single 8GB stick from Crucial to take me to 12GB. Very glad I did, I'll take the plunge and get the other one when it drops slightly in price.

I use VMs extensively and Lion is more resource intensive than SL. I can run an 8GB VM for Windows Server 2008, a 512MB VM for a domain controller and the remaining 3.5GB is for Lion, it generally works okay (although I suspect the integrated gfx probably steal a bit at times too, wish there was a way to disable it really)

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I've been running the Corsair 16GB kit (8GB x 2) in my 2011 15" Macbook Pro for over a week. I ran Rember 4 loops to test stability and it passed.

Before this upgrade I would turn to the 2010 27" iMac for photo editing because it was significantly smoother with 16GB editing RAW. Now I actually believe the MBP is faster, my guess is the single 480GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is blowing the doors off the OWC 3G drive / 1TB Caviar Black combo.

datumax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
My base 2011 15" mbp supports 16gb.

so it appears you have a base model 15" MBP correct? There have been posters on here who suggest the base model 15" won't recognize/utilize 16GB of RAM.

it seems your screen shot has disproved the above statement? would you agree?

Yes, that is correct.

Note: I do wish I had purchased an Antiglare 2.2 Ghz model (obviously), but when I gauged how much I could sell this one for on eBay considering the modifications I've made to the machine, and what I could get an upgraded model for it didn't seem worth it to sell. This was a better decision for me.

I use a VM for Windows 7 at work with a bloated CRM that has to be open all day along with Internet Explorer and sometimes Office products. Meanwhile I'm also running a variety of apps on Lion including Photoshop CS5, Coda, iTunes, iPhoto or Aperture, Pages, Chrome and some background utilities. I've noticed increased stability and yes, faster multitasking and in general I think things feel snappier.

I had recently taken my machine to the Bar to see what was slowing it down recently. The Genius and I concluded that it might be due to the fact that I'm running a Developer's Preview of Lion (I lost my Restore Disc and trying to put SL on gave me three beeps on startup, so I signed up for the Beta)--I will install Retail soon--but that most likely it was due to how much I have open on a regular basis and also by some Launch Agents and Daemons that I have since cleared out that were holding me back.

Even after doing some housekeeping, things weren't quite as snappy as I would have liked, so I went for the RAM upgrade. I think it was worth it. YMMV. Next time I reformat, I will run some benchmarks with the Elpida RAM for you guys and post them.

I have a Kingston V100+ 3 GB/s 128GB SSD and OWC's Data Doubler installed, too. Couldn't pass the free upgrade from the buggy V100 up at a Costco, just like I couldn't pass up the deal I made the seller, which was more of a trade than anything. I doubt he'll be making any more trades now that he knows what his RAM can do...

----------

The RAM from Alibaba is 1066, not 1333. Just fwiw

I'm glad I didn't order a sample!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.