Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GriiMz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Hey guys basically the jist of it is that i'm rather nervous about getting a MBA. I have a super desktop and this is only really needed for browsing and a bit of editing. My main concern is the 1 usb port and I heard there were heating issues with the 2009 MBA. This is second hand off Gumtree and has applecare until April 2013. It is 1.8Ghz with 2GB ram. So my questions I need answered are...

1. Is 2GB of ram enough really?
2. Do the 2009 MBA's have many issues or is it rare?
3. Would it be better to wait 3 weeks and get a refurb MBP from apple for £300 more?

Thanks for any help and advice

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
You missed the most important information. How much are you paying for this?

50 bucks? Ya, go for it. I wouldn't pay more then $99 for it. It is going to be a paper weight quite quickly. I bet you the battery is probably crappy.

GriiMz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
You missed the most important information. How much are you paying for this?

50 bucks? Ya, go for it. I wouldn't pay more then $99 for it. It is going to be a paper weight quite quickly. I bet you the battery is probably crappy.

£490 for it. What do you think?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Mac2Sell states the value of the computer at £330-450 depending on the hard drive in the MBA.

Namysome

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
I would not buy the older 2009 model. I think you will be limited with it. As you mentioned 1 USB only, Heat issues, slow hard drive (not SSD).
You won't even be able to play high definition movies/clips.

I think you should at least go for the 2010 because there are huge differences when it comes to performance.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Mac2Sell states the value of the computer at £330-450 depending on the hard drive in the MBA.
wait, do you litterally mean HARD DRIVE? Or does it have an ssd?
Because if it has a hard drive, don't buy it... Sucky cpu with sucky ram and sucky HDD = worthless. Try and get a 2010 one with an ssd.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
wait, do you litterally mean HARD DRIVE? Or does it have an ssd?
Because if it has a hard drive, don't buy it... Sucky cpu with sucky ram and sucky HDD = worthless. Try and get a 2010 one with an ssd.

The old MacBook Air's only had the SSD as a premium option, so it's likely that that MBA only has a HDD.

Astrofox

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
For that amount of money do not even think about buying, especially if you want to edit anything.

Keep watching Gumtree for at least a 2010 model Air, or any semi-recent MBP.

GriiMz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
For that amount of money do not even think about buying, especially if you want to edit anything.

Keep watching Gumtree for at least a 2010 model Air, or any semi-recent MBP.

okay thanks, anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.