Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:37 PM   #1
stark4
macrumors 6502

Brand New MBA broke in 5 min of used!

i bought a base model 13" MBA today and while i was surfing the web the keyboard stop working. I tried to turn off the power and restarted but the OS was looking for a bluetooth keyboard. i guess the keyboard got disconnected somehow inside? Anyway i took it back to Apple store right away and they exchanged it with the brand new one.

But it was pretty scary that it would happen to a brand new Mac. I just opened up 5 min ago and keyboard stopped working. Anyway i just want to share that with you guys.

BTW my new MBA SSD is SM128C and Display is LTH133BT01A03

Is that mean i got both Samsung SSD and Samsung Display... ?

Thanks
stark4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:41 PM   #2
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark4 View Post
i bought a base model 13" MBA today and while i was surfing the web the keyboard stop working. I tried to turn off the power and restarted but the OS was looking for a bluetooth keyboard. i guess the keyboard got disconnected somehow inside? Anyway i took it back to Apple store right away and they exchanged it with the brand new one.

But it was pretty scary that it would happen to a brand new Mac. I just opened up 5 min ago and keyboard stopped working. Anyway i just want to share that with you guys.

BTW my new MBA SSD is SM128C and Display is LTH133BT01A03

Is that mean i got both Samsung SSD and Samsung Display... ?

Thanks
First, welcome to the Air club. Hopefully the rest of your ownership experience is better than Day 1. These things happen. My 2010 MacBook Air was crashing all the time, but then Apple replaced the logic board and all was well. Second, yes, you do have the Samsung SSD and Samsung display.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Devil Dog 21
macrumors newbie

Sorry that you had that happen right away. I got the exact same model MBA this past weekend and have had no issues. (Knocking on wood as I type this)

I'm sure the rest of your experience with your MBA will be great!
Devil Dog 21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Queen6
macrumors 65816

Everything produced has a failure rate, Apple is generally better than most and the do stand by their product, and that is why I continue to buy. Most of all Apple will do their utmost to ensure customer satisfaction, as they understand the bigger picture of customer loyalty and return purchases.

I once bought an Acer, within literally a week a major production fault was detected and released, I asked for a replacement Acer`s response was I had to have this brand new Notebook "repaired" like or leave it, I chose to leave it and Acer. I will never recommend nor buy their product privately or professionally, I would rate Acer`s customer service as abismal at best.

Equally I have never had issue with any Apple product in over 20 years, I do believe that Apple does strive for excellence, unfortunately some level failure is invertible...

Last edited by Queen6; Sep 21, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
Queen6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:50 AM   #5
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

That's nothing compare to the one I ordered back then when the first gen got release. Ordered ir from Apple took them 2 weeks from China. Got it and the unit was completely dead can't turn on at all. Then took it to the Apple store genius couldn't do anything since it was a dead unit. Called Apple they sent me one right away with a 2days international received the new one then sent the dead one back to cali.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:03 AM   #6
orfeas0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post
Everything produced has a failure rate, Apple is generally better than most and the do stand by their product, and that is why I continue to buy. Most of all Apple will do their utmost to ensure customer satisfaction, as they understand the bigger picture of customer loyalty and return purchases.

I once bought an Acer, within literally a week a major production fault was detected and released, I asked for a replacement Acer`s response was I had to have this brand new Notebook "repaired" like or leave it, I chose to leave it and Acer and I will never recommend nor buy their product privately or professionally, I would rate Acer`s customer service as abismal at best.

Equally I have never had issue with any Apple product in over 20 years, I do believe that Apple does strive for excellence, unfortunately some level failure is invertible
exactly that. No technology is perfect. Better yet, NOTHING is perfect. Just like a kid can have a heart attack at the age of 12 (rarely), same comes with computers. They can fail at any time. So always keep backups of everything important.
orfeas0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:39 PM   #7
accessoriesguy
macrumors 6502a

it's good that it failed right away instead of down the line.

Like cars if something is wrong it will show up fairly quickly, just in case apple (as do cars) offer warranty, in this case being 1 year. So don't worry too much about mechanical failures.

Apple has had some of the lowest fault rates, last I heard they were somewhere in the 4% range. It seems higher here, because more people come to discuss their issues with the computer than how it never had an issue. Never undermined the importance of having a backup drive, apple makes it easy to back up your files thanks to time machine.

Aside from that, I hope you have a great user experience and feel free to ask questions or for advice!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:22 PM   #8
jrtaylor6
macrumors member

Sorry that happen man. I have had mine almost 10 months and its just like the day I bought it.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:32 PM   #9
stark4
macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the support... I'm also glad that it failed right away before i transfer some files from my MBP.

Btw the replacement 13" MBA is going strong and loving it's portability compare to my old 15" MBP. My replacement MBA has Samsung SSD and Display. But i don't think it matters anyways..
stark4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:42 PM   #10
jesushavemercy
macrumors member

This will get more and more common, has happened to me several times.
(not exactly that case), however this is what we can expect when products ship from China.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:55 PM   #11
orfeas0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesushavemercy View Post
This will get more and more common, has happened to me several times.
(not exactly that case), however this is what we can expect when products ship from China.
Do you think ANY laptop is manufactured anywhere else than China?
Then again I guess you were joking so yea, "made in China" sucks :P
orfeas0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air