Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm trying to help a coworker get Skype working on his new iPad 2, but thus far failing. He's trying to call home from the UAE, which blocks access to Skype.com (telco issue of some sort), which makes checking their forums for help difficult. I would assume it is the national firewall causing the problems (and it might be), but it is working fine from my iPod touch 3g from the same hotel Internet connection.

The symptom is that any time he tries to initiate or receive a call, it is dropped immediately with a "call failed" message. Using the Skype for iPad app, it actually sort of hangs; it briefly shows a call ended message, but the call does not actually close, and the red hook button does nothing. The only way I have figured out to end the call fully is to force the app to close. I also tried the iPhone version of the Skype app on his iPad, and while it doesn't get stuck, it does immediately say "call failed". Even the test call won't work.

Since my iPod touch, which I set up before we left the US, works fine, it is at least possible to get a Skype-to-Skype call through from here. And, since we didn't try to set it up until we got here, I don't know if it would work on a US Internet connection, either.

We have no non-iOS computer here with which to experiment, but I did manage to talk my wife through testing his Skype account from our desktop in the US, which seemed to work okay, so I think his account is functioning.

Any suggestions (or even just copy-pasted stuff from the Skype forums)?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
An addendum, I did eventually get it working, but disappointingly, I'm not exactly sure how. Based on some suggestions, I logged out via the Sykpe app, hard-quit it (via the app switcher X button), then fully shut down the iPad (holding down the sleep button), then rebooted and logged into Skype, and it worked. I also switched the Skype profile and iPad location from UAE to USA, but I'm not sure whether that was required or not--at the least, it wasn't alone sufficient to make it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.