Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I have two network locations on my MacBook, one for my school's wireless network and settings, and another for everything else. I cannot properly connect to the school network when on the other network location, nor to any other network when on the school location so have to continuously change the network location (annoying!!). However, my iPhone is able to atomatically connect to the school network (once the proper settings are entered) as well as my home network.

Why is my iPhone able to do this switching so easily but my MacBook requires me to set the location before it can connect?

Is there a way I can make the MacBook behave like the iPhone and automatically connect to either of the networks, without me having to set the network location?

Cheers.

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for the advice.

Maybe my original post wasn't clear. By network location, I do not mean wifi network. In network preferences, right at the top, there is a location drop-down menu.

In this menu, I have two locations, Home and School. When on the Home location, I can connect to the wifi network at home but if I am on this location at school, I get the popup box with available networks. If I change the network location at this point to the School location, the computer is able to connect to the wifi network without me choosing the network.

THIS SEEMS TO BE NORMAL, EVERYONE HAS THIS WITH THEIR COMPUTER

This is not an issue with remembering the network or trying to connect when it is available. Its just that it can't connect if the location is set to the wrong place... must have something to do with the search domains or proxies as these are different for the two different locations.

Any other suggestions?

session101

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
im not following your network locations... i just have my password stored and when im at home I auto-connect and when im at work I auto-connect to the wireless... maybe you should drop the whole network locations

what OSX are you running?

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I am on 10.6.8. We require two separate network locations because the school has special network settings that are stored in that location profile. These obviously don't work with networks other than theirs, so the other network profile has the more common network settings. We need the location profiles... unless we want to enter the network settings and proxies and search domains each time we move.

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

or is it possible two have two airport ports configured for the one location profile? Would the computer be able to detect which of those two airport ports to use (either home or school), rendering the location option useless?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Is there a way I can make the MacBook behave like the iPhone and automatically connect to either of the networks, without me having to set the network location?

I realise this is an old thread but I was looking to do this to. At work I need to use specific DNS servers and at home I just use those provided by my ISP.

I found the following free app which looks to do what you are after:
http://www.45rpmsoftware.com/45RPM/locamatic.shtml

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.