Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

This weeks topic : Classic

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
If this isn't classic, I don't know what is.

Attachments

• EiffelWinter.jpg
    EiffelWinter.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 150

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
After the injury.

There is nothing more classic than high school football, and the Solon (Ohio) High School team is a classic -- consistently ranked nationally in the top 100 high school teams.

Look at the full size image. The colors do not render properly in the thumbnail.

Attachments

• Classic final.jpg
    Classic final.jpg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Blakeco123

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
a rail rode used to run through my small town, its gone now but they kept the train station and turned it into a museum with a caboose kept on tracks just out side it. also if i remember history class well enough southern pacific was the rail rode company that made the first track across America. your can also see one of the "period accurate" mannequin passengers in the window.

Attachments

• IMG_7815.jpg
    IMG_7815.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 153

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
usa
This week's contest is over as of NOW!! Gotta go into my former job and do some damage control , if I can weasel my way out of there in an hour or two and if they don't screw with my head too much , I should have some results late this afternoon .

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
usa
My head's about to blow up ... too many good images to decide from ...
Interesting to see how many folks equate the concept of "classic" with black and white , and how effectively they've done it . Anyway , some real quick comments:
AlexH : Certainly a classic handgun,interesting lighting and focus.

JAWJr :Nice shot of the Eiffel tower , taken from an angle , and season not generally seen.

jodelli : Nice brass age car , amazingly crisp image ,this would be nice to see in color...it's obviously not black like so many old cars are , and the combination of pinstriping and brass must look great.

jabbott : No doubt once filled with a classic brew , but now , alas , empty. Nice clear foreground , nicely out of focus background.

dcains : Spider Veloce??? there's a story here somewhere --- is it a daily driver , a case of omygodileftthealfaoutsidewiththetopdownanditjustrained ,
or a driveway queen awaiting restoration?

rutsy2192 : The Magic Kingdom .... nice crisp shot , nice capture of the fireworks at an iconic location

fuxl : Neat street rod '34? pretty good job keeping the car focused and the wheels/landscape blurred to convey motion .

Keleko :The grainyness coupled with the great out of focus areas and black and white reminds me of one of the pictures from the old 'LIFE' magazine back in the 60's

Deep Diver : Wonderful detail ... the bruises , the crutches in the background , there's a story here.

Blakeco123 ; Nice capture , it's good to see this pice of history is a museum rather than being converted into a restaurant as is so often the case.

Pucas ; the whole image seems to be in soft focus ... Deliberate?? This image would make a great writing prompt for a High School composition class.

pol0001 : this is the kind of sign that one only sees in older cities . looks like it's been there forever . Save for the green in the left background , one woulld almost think it was sepia toned .

JDDavis :Certainly a classic structure . the backlighting and the flare certainly IMHO add to the picture in this instance.

NeGRitO : Nice shot of a beautifully restored brass age car , plenty of detail ,
lots going on here , I'd sure hate to be the person responsible for keeping all that metal shiny!

acearchie : MY God!!! ... a Ferrari that's not red!!!BRG!!! Nice shot of a classic . You've nailed making the image depict great speed.

fitshaced : The Sydney Opera House ... never seen it captured like this ...long exposure and moving zoom?

3rd : a tie , Keleko and rusty2192

2nd : pol001

1st: jodelli

jodelli , congratulations , you've got 48 hours to create a new theme.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Keleko :The grainyness coupled with the great out of focus areas and black and white reminds me of one of the pictures from the old 'LIFE' magazine back in the 60's

It's grainy because it was taken at 6400 ISO. :) These high school football games tend to have pretty poor lighting. The upper left part of the crowd behind is the school band, btw. You can sort of make out the brighter bokeh circles as tubas, which is why they're so much brighter than the rest of the background.

Nice job, everyone!

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
usa
It's grainy because it was taken at 6400 ISO. :) These high school football games tend to have pretty poor lighting. The upper left part of the crowd behind is the school band, btw. You can sort of make out the brighter bokeh circles as tubas, which is why they're so much brighter than the rest of the background.

Nice job, everyone!

Thanks for clarifying what went on with this picture .... At the time I was screening the images ( yesterday P.M. ) I was on a machine that didn't have access to an exif viewer. My thoughts were , considering the clarity of the subject , and the background blurring ( far out of DOF)seeming to have maybe more graininess than the subject , that you had used some sort of PS plugin , like Exposure , to simulate grain .
I was wrong , but the picture sure worked .

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Thanks for clarifying what went on with this picture .... At the time I was screening the images ( yesterday P.M. ) I was on a machine that didn't have access to an exif viewer. My thoughts were , considering the clarity of the subject , and the background blurring ( far out of DOF)seeming to have maybe more graininess than the subject , that you had used some sort of PS plugin , like Exposure , to simulate grain .
I was wrong , but the picture sure worked .

I think the noise is why I liked the B&W better. The graininess seemed to fit better that way. I did use Topaz B&W effects to convert it to B&W, and you can add grain with that as well. I don't remember my steps now, but it is entirely likely I used Topaz denoise first, then B&W effects to convert and put a better looking graininess back in.

In either case, the original photo had a lot of noise. I just made it an asset rather than a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.