Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newsstand_icon_button.jpg

With Apple set to broaden access to digital subscription content with the debut of its prominent Newsstand feature in iOS 5, Reuters reports that a group of major French newspapers are banding together to strengthen their positions in negotiating with Apple over digital distribution.
The bid by eight publications, including newspaper Le Figaro and sports daily L'Equipe, is the latest sign of growing disillusionment among some global publishers over what they consider Apple's rigid terms and high commission of 30 percent.

[...]

They are also negotiating with Apple as a collective, and will not sell their products on Apple's own kiosk, dubbed the Newsstand, set to launch next month, without key concessions.
The report notes that media companies have already made some headway in resisting Apple's demands, with Apple backing off on its pricing demands for in-app purchases and subscriptions earlier this year. Prominent business newspaper Financial Times has also made a stand by pulling its iOS application and utilizing a well-regarded web app to offer its content without being subject to Apple's rules.
Le Figaro executive Pascale Pouquet said the French publications were still in talks with Apple over whether it would accept the changes to the kiosk, but insisted that the papers would not fold on their key demands such as a reduction in the 30 percent commission and access to the customer data.

"We'll have to be ready to accept to lose some sales if we cannot come to terms with Apple," he said. "But sometimes it's better to cut off a finger than to sever the whole arm."
The publications have come to terms with Google to sell their content for Android, with Google charging only a 10% commission on sales and allowing publishers to have control over pricing and customer data collection.

Apple has been firm in its stance regarding a 30% commission as has become standard for many types of content on the iOS platform, and has insisted on users retaining control over whether their personal information is shared with the publications.

Article Link: French Newspapers Teaming Up in Digital Content Negotiations with Apple

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Judging by the number of people with iPhones, it be as well be severing the whole arm.

And while the 30% commission to Apple is expensive, I'm still very happy that they refuse to allow anything that takes user data for advertisers.

Finally the french do something useful.

Useful for who?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Lol at google "whoring" itself out giving customer data like candy.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
thats right. 30% for them is a lot of money. and very little for apple. why not make just 15% so more publishers come aboard and more people would like to give apple money and read more?

just wondering.. may be wrong..

Last edited:

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
with Google charging only a 10% commission on sales and allowing publishers to have control over pricing and customer data collection.
Forget the 10%, 30% numbers, that's a distraction. The customer data collection is key here. Google is more than happy to give away all your information, after all, that is their core business. Apple are not, so saying that "The French are doing good" here is misguided in the extreme. Apple is protecting your rights.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
J'avais l'habitude Babelfish pour écrire ceci de sorte que je puisse me feindre sache le français

It' trop mauvais ; s presque jamais précis

Fotek2001

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
London, England
Forget the 10%, 30% numbers, that's a distraction. The customer data collection is key here. Google is more than happy to give away all your information, after all, that is their core business. Apple are not, so saying that "Google is doing good" here is misguided in the extreme. Apple is protecting your rights.

Google don't give away or even sell their customer's data, I don't know where this myth comes from. They collect and use it for targeted advertising but you can't go and buy it from them.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Finally the french do something useful.

I guess what de Grasse's navy did at the Battle of the Chesapeake in 1781 wasn't really all that important.

It only ensured that the Americans would be able to win at Yorktown (using French naval and ground forces under Rochambeau, who commanded them.) No biggie.

Last edited:

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I don't understand why people are so upset about giving their information to a paper they subscribe to. That's how ALL subscriptions work. That's how newspapers / magazines know what ads to run in their products.

For people that think that Apple uses their information for financial gain, I guess you don't use iTunes. iTunes is always recommending songs that I might like to purchase based off past purchases and songs in my library ripped from CD's. Yes, you can turn that off, but why would you? I don't care if iTunes knows that I like this song or that artist. But that's a different topic.

Bottom line, Apple is charging too much for newspapers and magazines. They should drop the Apple cut down to 10% and give the user the option to share data with the newspaper or not.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
They should drop the Apple cut down to 10% and give the user the option to share data with the newspaper or not.

I believe part of the problem is that Apple does require the newspapers to ask the user for their personal data. The newspapers and magazines don't want to give the customer the choice.

Last edited:

Fotek2001

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
London, England
I believe the newspapers are upset because Apple does require them to ask the user for their personal data. The newspapers and magazines don't want to give the customer the choice.

In France, it has to work like that to comply with EU data regulations. Companies can only share user information with the user's express permissions. This (for the third time) has nothing to do with data... :rolleyes:

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Google don't give away or even sell their customer's data, I don't know where this myth comes from. They collect and use it for targeted advertising but you can't go and buy it from them.

You don't actually believe that, do you? Google's main business is data mining and brokering. Every service they offer, from search to Google+, is designed to harvest, store, and analyze data so that Google can sell that information or products based upon that information. Simple user lists, with real names and telephone numbers can be had relatively cheaply from Google, with more in-depth data available for an appropriate price.

sigfridb

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
Sharing data is a separate issue that's not really relevant in the EU since it's illegal without user's express consent.

Sharing is quite of an important one for magazines and papers as they always need to meet the expectations of their readers.

but the margin is even more important, being french I know that even without the 30% to Apple, most of french papers and magazines survive on state subvention.

Fotek2001

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
London, England
You don't actually believe that, do you? Google's main business is data mining and brokering. Every service they offer, from search to Google+, is designed to harvest, store, and analyze data so that Google can sell that information or products based upon that information. Simple user lists, with real names and telephone numbers can be had relatively cheaply from Google, with more in-depth data available for an appropriate price.

What's your source for this? I've been keeping an eye on Google since they first appeared and I've never once seen or heard any evidence that they sell user data. If you're going to make wild accusations like that, show us your evidence...

I'm no big fan of Google but their business is selling advertising not selling data and the reason they collect data is for better targeting of adverts.

----------

Don't be so sure about that:

Allowing Zynga (who are using Google's infrastructure of offer a service of their own) access to your data is completely different from Google going off and selling your personal information secretly to the highest bidder. :rolleyes:

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
The publications have come to terms with Google to sell their content for Android, with Google charging only a 10% commission on sales and allowing publishers to have control over pricing and customer data collection.

Let them sell on Google if they want to do this

I prefer Apple as my buffer from these mongrels.

Google would sell its mother to an advertiser

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.