Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I recently was given a G4 500 Sawtooth and have set it up with Tiger. I want to install OS 9 also. I have a backup of my OS 9 install CD (orig had become so scratched I actually polished and backed it up) -- but it won't boot. I do the alt and C when powering on and nothing.

How do I get the files on this CD onto a CD that will boot in the G4 so that I can install OS 9?

Thanks!

bp

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
Hi,

Sounds like your OS 9 CD is really messed up. You would need to find an image of OS 9 and re-burn it to a new disc. Do you have OS X lying around that you can put on the G4? That would be your only way of accomplishing what you want to accomplish. Once in OS X, then go into Disk Utility and burn the good known OS 9 image to a disc. Then, finally.. boot the OS 9 disc on the G4.

Let me know if you got this far..

I recently was given a G4 500 Sawtooth and have set it up with Tiger. I want to install OS 9 also. I have a backup of my OS 9 install CD (orig had become so scratched I actually polished and backed it up) -- but it won't boot. I do the alt and C when powering on and nothing.

How do I get the files on this CD onto a CD that will boot in the G4 so that I can install OS 9?

Thanks!

bp

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom

Thanks!

bp

Im pretty sure it depends what type of image you took (I can't get an ISO clone of my Retail 9 Disc to boot, or if it sees the disk it complains its not on the original "installation media"). Id probably say your best bet would be to use an older version of Toast Titanium (Under the OS that created the image if possible) and use that to burn the boot disk (Ive had better results with Toast than with any other OS X or 9 Disk Burning Product), making sure to check that you want the disk to be bootable (Its an option buried somewhere - I forget where as it moves around a lot). You could also try and see if it recognises the disk at all by plainly holding down alt and going into the boot menu, but it does look like the disc you have no longer works as a Boot Disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.