Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
I deleted the "News" bookmark that the Tiger install put in the bookmark bar, by mistake. Any ideas on how I can get it back?

Thanks!

adam1185

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Apple!Freak said:
I deleted the "News" bookmark that the Tiger install put in the bookmark bar, by mistake. Any ideas on how I can get it back?

Thanks!

I think if you trash the safari preferences or bookmarks file it will revert back to the default ones, just make sure to back up the ones you currently have so you can reimport them.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
adam1185 said:
I think if you trash the safari preferences or bookmarks file it will revert back to the default ones, just make sure to back up the ones you currently have so you can reimport them.

When and how will it revert back to the default ones? How do I back up the ones I currently have?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
look for safari.plist in your Preferences folder (in System, in your home folder). Just delete it, and relaunch Safari. Bam, all bookmarks will be back. And it doesn't delete your current bookmarks either.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Raven VII said:
look for safari.plist in your Preferences folder (in System, in your home folder). Just delete it, and relaunch Safari. Bam, all bookmarks will be back. And it doesn't delete your current bookmarks either.

You sure about this? If I lost all of my bookmarks I would have a SERIOUS problem! How can I back up my bookmarks before I do this?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Dunno if it is the "right" way to back up bookmarks (as there isn't a conspicuous "export" function):

Go to your bookmarks view (click that bookmark icon). Highlight your bookmarks in the bookmarks panel, drag them to a safe location. Hope that helps.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Sedulous said:
Dunno if it is the "right" way to back up bookmarks (as there isn't a conspicuous "export" function):

Go to your bookmarks view (click that bookmark icon). Highlight your bookmarks in the bookmarks panel, drag them to a safe location. Hope that helps.

Theres got to be a file somewhere that contains all of the bookmarks. Just where?

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Raven VII said:

It worked! Thanks for the tip!

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Apple!Freak said:
Theres got to be a file somewhere that contains all of the bookmarks. Just where?

If your using Tiger, and presumably Sarari 2.0, there is an option in the file menu for exporting bookmarks. Just telling you for future reference :) .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.