Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I have a Macbook Pro i wish to sell to buy a new mac mini.

I have backed up my Pro via carbon copy cloner .. Is this sufficient? Can i literally copy this across now to my mini?

Also how do i go about wiping my hard drive in the MBP once the mini has been set up?

Thanks

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have a Macbook Pro i wish to sell to buy a new mac mini.

I have backed up my Pro via carbon copy cloner .. Is this sufficient? Can i literally copy this across now to my mini?

Also how do i go about wiping my hard drive in the MBP once the mini has been set up?

Thanks

I believe you can use CCC to restore your files to your new Mini but I would recommend using a firewire cable to migrate directly from the MBP to the Mini. Migration brings your data but doesn't attempt to bring over (possibly older) system files along with your data.

I've never sold a Mac but if I did I think I'd find the time to do a wipe and install of the OS after a secure wipe of the disk. As a shortcut, I'd create a junk account, make it admin, delete my old account and home folder and then do a secure wipe of deleted space. There's no need to waste time doing a secure wipe of the OS. At this point you could sell it leaving the junk account in place or if you would feel better about getting rid of all the cruft sitting in /Applications you can proceed to a wipe and install next.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Theres a high chance il have to sell my MBP before i get the new mini as the money is going to pay for it :)

Would it be easy to migrate with CCC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.