Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Touch Panel Defects May Result in Minor Shortfall of Initial 'iPhone 5' Shipments




Digitimes reports that iPhone touch panel supplier Wintek has apparently experienced some production issues that have caused minor defects in some of the panels being produced for the next-generation "iPhone 5".
Quote:
The defect, "delayed bubble", is difficult to avoid during panel production, particularly when the defect is not detected during the process of laminating touch panels, and only later found during assembly, the sources said. Since the manufacturing process of touch panels used in iPhone 5 is of the same as that for iPhone 4, Wintek is expected to remedy the defect quickly, the sources indicated.
For its part, Wintek claims that all of its products are being delivered to customers on schedule.




It is unclear just how big of an effect the issue might have on iPhone supplies, as no estimate of the percentage of Wintek's panel production affected by the defect is given in the report, and Wintek is only responsible for 20-25% of total iPhone touch panel production. TPK is Apple's primary touch panel supplier, with Chimei Innolux also contributing some production capacity.

Also unclear is just what device is being addressed in the report, as it is still uncertain whether Apple be introducing both a redesigned iPhone 5 and an "iPhone 4S" that is nearly identical in appearance to the iPhone 4. Several reports from Apple's supply chain have suggested that there is no sign of a redesigned iPhone 5 at this time and that the iPhone 4S may be the only release for Apple next month.

Article Link: Touch Panel Defects May Result in Minor Shortfall of Initial 'iPhone 5' Shipments
MacRumors is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:20 AM   #2
pewra
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
A phone we think doesn't exist might be delayed from a date we don't know about to some other time?
pewra is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:27 AM   #3
jpmcnown
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
All I've gotta say, is if whatever iPhone comes out, if it fails to be both LTE and 1080p video recording, I'll be going back to an Android phone.
jpmcnown is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Let's announce it first, and we can worry about shipments later...
__________________
iPhone 5 • rMBP 15" (2012)
Northgrove is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:29 AM   #5
stevemiller
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

A new problem suggests a new screen
__________________
macbook pro | iphone | ipad
stevemiller is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:30 AM   #6
FourCandles
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewra View Post
A phone we think doesn't exist might be delayed from a date we don't know about to some other time?
Yep, all due to possible problems at a supplier that we don't yet know will be supplying parts for the new phone, with an assumed specification.
FourCandles is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:41 AM   #7
slrandall
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcnown View Post
All I've gotta say, is if whatever iPhone comes out, if it fails to be both LTE and 1080p video recording, I'll be going back to an Android phone.
I honestly don't think anyone has steady enough hands to notice the difference in quality of a video taken from a phone that can record 720p vs. one that can do 1080p.
slrandall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:42 AM   #8
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603
 
chrmjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewra View Post
A phone we think doesn't exist might be delayed from a date we don't know about to some other time?
Woah now, don't assume we know so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcnown View Post
All I've gotta say, is if whatever iPhone comes out, if it fails to be both LTE and 1080p video recording, I'll be going back to an Android phone.
If you think there is any chance of LTE, you haven't been paying attention.
__________________
Read my Apple A8, iPhone 6 preview and prediction thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1770411
Twitter: @anexanhume
chrmjenkins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:45 AM   #9
boshii
macrumors 68040
 
boshii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Why would there be problems if they've been producing the same screen for over a year?

Unless...
boshii is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:53 AM   #10
darbus69
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tim Cook and Apple need to go a different direction with this corporate secrecy, it's outlived it's usefulness-everyone knows and expects Apple to manufacture innovative and aesthetically pleasing devices which help change the world. consequently, when we are starved of official information we start reading stories such as this into being something that probably have no real merit on new products which the thought of at this juncture is driving us all (most) nuts. Apple, give the world a break and cut the fog and give us some tasty "official" morsels once in a while-it's all too rediculous and unnecessary anymore...
darbus69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:12 AM   #11
MacinDoc
macrumors 68020
 
MacinDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Great White North
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

A new problem suggests a new screen
My thoughts exactly. Obviously this isn't a problem with the existing iPhone 4 screen, so something must be in the pipes that at least has a screen with different dimensions.
__________________
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
MacinDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Dylan35
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Huddersfield (UK)
After if announced

As soon as they get round to announcing it samsung will take it to court and it will be banded across Europe
Dylan35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:39 AM   #13
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603
 
chrmjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

A new problem suggests a new screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
Why would there be problems if they've been producing the same screen for over a year?

Unless...
Wintek is an existing supplier, so it could be the case. I believe that Apple changed the lamination process on the iphone 4, and if the screen is staying, that shouldn't be it. It would seem to suggest a new or different process or that they're just pushing much higher volume than before and quality is suffering. I think a lot of us will remember the glue under the screens of the iphone 4 that eventually dried, but we saw it anyway because production time to in our hands was so short.
__________________
Read my Apple A8, iPhone 6 preview and prediction thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1770411
Twitter: @anexanhume
chrmjenkins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Thefan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
No Delay

If they said all products will ship on time, then all will ship on time. I see some shortages happening regardless of when it ships due to the popularity, but both phones will be announced on October 4th. The new iphone 5 is coming in October whether or not the stock market or the people who aren't due for an upgrade yet want it to, haha.
Thefan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:52 AM   #15
Pulsedriver81
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinDoc View Post
My thoughts exactly. Obviously this isn't a problem with the existing iPhone 4 screen, so something must be in the pipes that at least has a screen with different dimensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
Wintek is an existing supplier, so it could be the case. I believe that Apple changed the lamination process on the iphone 4, and if the screen is staying, that shouldn't be it. It would seem to suggest a new or different process or that they're just pushing much higher volume than before and quality is suffering. I think a lot of us will remember the glue under the screens of the iphone 4 that eventually dried, but we saw it anyway because production time to in our hands was so short.
I agree to some point, but a new screen doesn´t meen a new formfactor or a larger screen. It just meen a new screen. The update from 3G to 3GS also included a new screen...

My first post here by the way!
Pulsedriver81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:53 AM   #16
TheOrioles33
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcnown View Post
All I've gotta say, is if whatever iPhone comes out, if it fails to be both LTE and 1080p video recording, I'll be going back to an Android phone.
Because you really need LTE and 1080p right?

Instead you'll settle for the laggy buggy OS known as Android.
TheOrioles33 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:55 AM   #17
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
thinner screens

Wasn't there something about thinner screens a while ago? It could be something as simple as that. The production would have changed and now possible issues with it.

I'm starting to think we are not going to see a redesign as many have hoped. I think this time around it's all about the software.
__________________
Not sent from my iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.
reckless2k2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:00 PM   #18
Thefan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsedriver81 View Post
I agree to some point, but a new screen doesn´t meen a new formfactor or a larger screen. It just meen a new screen. The update from 3G to 3GS also included a new screen...

My first post here by the way!
If you reallly believe this, then you're going to be in for a big surprise come October 4th. And I would never use the transition from the 3G to the 3GS as a comparison as many others are doing on several blogs. This is a completely different market producing a completely different generation of phones. Apple knows what it has to do to compete this and next year, and trust me, an updated iphone 4 would never be that answer.
Thefan is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:01 PM   #19
*LTD*
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbus69 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tim Cook and Apple need to go a different direction with this corporate secrecy, it's outlived it's usefulness-everyone knows and expects Apple to manufacture innovative and aesthetically pleasing devices which help change the world. consequently, when we are starved of official information we start reading stories such as this into being something that probably have no real merit on new products which the thought of at this juncture is driving us all (most) nuts. Apple, give the world a break and cut the fog and give us some tasty "official" morsels once in a while-it's all too rediculous and unnecessary anymore...
Yo've just proven part of the wisdom of Apple's "secrecy."
*LTD* is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:02 PM   #20
Muad'Dib
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
The thinner screens were for the iPhone 4 IIRC. The way the digitizer and LCD were assembled with the front glass changed so that it would be thinner.
Muad'Dib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:13 PM   #21
Pulsedriver81
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefan View Post
If you reallly believe this, then you're going to be in for a big surprise come October 4th. And I would never use the transition from the 3G to the 3GS as a comparison as many others are doing on several blogs. This is a completely different market producing a completely different generation of phones. Apple knows what it has to do to compete this and next year, and trust me, an updated iphone 4 would never be that answer.
I´m sory if I wasn´t clear of what I meant. I am NOT saying I believe there will only be an Iphone 4S. On the contrary...I believe very much there will be a new Iphone with a redesign (Iphone 5) and it has to have a larger screen. What I am saying is that the information given in this article doesn´t point to a larger screen at all, just a new screen. I hope I was clearer know...
Pulsedriver81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:58 PM   #22
ckurt25
macrumors 6502a
 
ckurt25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by slrandall View Post
I honestly don't think anyone has steady enough hands to notice the difference in quality of a video taken from a phone that can record 720p vs. one that can do 1080p.
What about just setting it on a dressor or night stand to make some "home movies" with your iPhone?
__________________
lots of stuff
ckurt25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:48 PM   #23
MacinDoc
macrumors 68020
 
MacinDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Great White North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsedriver81 View Post
I´m sory if I wasn´t clear of what I meant. I am NOT saying I believe there will only be an Iphone 4S. On the contrary...I believe very much there will be a new Iphone with a redesign (Iphone 5) and it has to have a larger screen. What I am saying is that the information given in this article doesn´t point to a larger screen at all, just a new screen. I hope I was clearer know...
You are absolutely correct, of course, it just means that the screen is likely different in some way, not necessarily size. One could ask, however, why Apple would make minor modifications to a screen that is successfully being produced in bulk. There would be no benefit to increasing pixel density, although I suppose Apple could go with something like AMOLED. OTOH, Apple has repeatedly stated that current AMOLED production can not meet its demand for iPhone/iPod/iPad screens. Thinner screens were introduced with the iPhone 4, so I don't think it would be that. Perhaps a new Retina Display with higher contrast or reduced energy consumption? Well that wouldn't be a bad thing; you'll never see me complain about improved battery life, and Samsung does claim that its AMOLED screens are superior because of a higher contrast ratio.
__________________
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
MacinDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:57 PM   #24
accessoriesguy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewra View Post
A phone we think doesn't exist might be delayed from a date we don't know about to some other time?
that is so awesome
__________________
accessoriesguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:24 PM   #25
iSee
macrumors 68040
 
iSee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcnown View Post
All I've gotta say, is if whatever iPhone comes out, if it fails to be both LTE and 1080p video recording, I'll be going back to an Android phone.
You might as well go now then, because all signs point to no LTE yet.
__________________
"Nobody ever reads these things so I can write anything. I'd eat bananas every day if they were crunchy."
iSee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IDC Predicts Android Tablet Shipments Will Overtake iPad Shipments in 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 174 Mar 15, 2013 01:02 PM
Very minor defects or imperfections. Samtb iPhone 5 Feb 10, 2013 06:50 PM
Apple's Rumored Carbon Fiber Part Shipments Said to Be Result of Multi-Year Partnership MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 71 Oct 15, 2012 01:14 AM
Back panel on iPhone 5 to be touch sensitive? Jjaro iPhone 9 Jul 16, 2012 11:20 PM
Retina MacBook Pro Shipping Estimates Slip to 3-4 Weeks as Initial Shipments Begin MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 126 Jun 26, 2012 10:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC