Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I have a quick question. I am using a 2009 MacBook without the multi-touch trackpad. I did a quick forum search and couldn't find this- does the Magic Mouse allow for 4-finger swipes through desktops and fullscreen apps in Lion?

Also, what would people recommend more for soft surfaces- like in bed or on a couch - the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad? I've never used either. I could forsee problems trying to use the mouse on top of a comforter, etc, so would I still be able to "click" a Magic Trackpad on a soft surface? Maybe it is best to just get a Magic Trackpad and use the tap-to-click setting. What do you all think?

Thank you

okayokay

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
yes you can swipe between desktop using two fingers. one finger will swipe between pages.

anyway, with the app BetterTouchTools you can configure your gestures in anyway you like

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
yes you can swipe between desktop using two fingers. one finger will swipe between pages.

anyway, with the app BetterTouchTools you can configure your gestures in anyway you like

Thanks, but are you sure? I read that one finger swipe left and right is to scroll, 2 finger was for page navigation in Safari... I assumed 3 and 4 was for switching between fullscreen apps but nothing I have come across gives me the impression that the Magic Mouse accepts 3 and 4 finger gestures. Pinch to zoom and 5 finger pinches also seem to be undoable on it. I'm leaning towards the Magic trackpad because I can see navigation with the Magic Mouse becoming a problem in bed or on a couch. Would love to hear from someone who has used both in these situations.

okayokay

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks, but are you sure? I read that one finger swipe left and right is to scroll, 2 finger was for page navigation in Safari... I assumed 3 and 4 was for switching between fullscreen apps but nothing I have come across gives me the impression that the Magic Mouse accepts 3 and 4 finger gestures. Pinch to zoom and 5 finger pinches also seem to be undoable on it. I'm leaning towards the Magic trackpad because I can see navigation with the Magic Mouse becoming a problem in bed or on a couch. Would love to hear from someone who has used both in these situations.

Yes, I'm sure, I own a magic mouse. The one finger swipe works for both scroll and switch pages.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Yes, I'm sure, I own a magic mouse. The one finger swipe works for both scroll and switch pages.

Thanks!

I'm still stuck on whether or not to go for the mouse or the trackpad. This thread has over 234 views and I find it hard to believe that no one else on this entire forum can give me their opinion, especially someone with a magic trackpad. That amazes me.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Thanks!

I'm still stuck on whether or not to go for the mouse or the trackpad. This thread has over 234 views and I find it hard to believe that no one else on this entire forum can give me their opinion, especially someone with a magic trackpad. That amazes me.

I had a magic mouse at first, but bought a magic trackpad after I got Lion. The multitouch gestures on the mouse are too awkward for me, but on the trackpad they are a dream to use.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I had a magic mouse at first, but bought a magic trackpad after I got Lion. The multitouch gestures on the mouse are too awkward for me, but on the trackpad they are a dream to use.

Thanks- I'm leaning that way. I feel more "secure" knowing that it offers full multitouch capabilities for Lion. I've only read good things about the Magic Trackpad. It also looks like it might be about twice, or triple the size of the trackpad I'll be coming from - I think I'll just go for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.