Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2004 I bought a refurb 3G 10G iPod for $210.

This iPod is great and still great. However, May 17, 2005 is fast approaching (warranty gone).

I would like to buy a 5G iPod if they are as exciting as they are anticipated when they come out. But, what should I do in the meantime? Should I:

1) buy applecare and keep this iPod until the next Gen. come out?

2) sell my iPod for about $180 (w/ dock, remote, carrying case, cables, charger...) and buy a mini w/ education discount?

It would probably be cheaper to do go the mini route, than it would to buy applecare on an already old iPod and try to sell it even further down the road when a 3g is 2 generations behind...

Also, it would also probably be easier to sell a mini when the 5G comes out because most likely, the minis won't be updated by then, so it will still be like a new mini. However, I like my 3G iPod!

This is my thoughts, what are yours?

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
1) It would seem you don't think you would be able to live without an iPod for too long. Don't count yourself short. ;)
2) Keeping your current iPod and not buy AppleCare isn't an option on your list...?

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Of course! I'm not going to dump iPod living for hopes of a new iPod soon.

Keeping my iPod without buying applecare is an option... but I just don't think it's a smart way to go. It's getting older and the battery life is diminishing. It would be a lot harder to sell an older iPod without warranty I believe.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Another option:

crazydreaming said:
Of course! I'm not going to dump iPod living for hopes of a new iPod soon.

Keeping my iPod without buying applecare is an option... but I just don't think it's a smart way to go. It's getting older and the battery life is diminishing. It would be a lot harder to sell an older iPod without warranty I believe.
Have you thought about buying a replacement battery from a third party? They're usually in the $30 to $40 range and tend to have a higher capacity than the original Apple batteries.

A side effect of a higher capacity battery is that when it starts dying, it will take longer before the capacity of the battery dimishes below the useful life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.