Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychomelody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Yokohama, Japan
I've been wanting to get a bedside dock/mount for my iPad and maybe my iPhone. This wouldn't be too much of a problem anywhere else, but I live in northern Japan. We still get good sized earthquakes weekly.

I may be thinking too much into this, but when I look online most of these iPad cradles and docks seem to be supported mostly by the dock connector. I don't want the heavy iPad to wear out the connector after a few months or even break it due to these circumstances.

There aren't many iPad docks at stores where I live, but plenty of iPhone/iPod docks. Quite a few of them seem to be supporting the iPhone with the duck connector alone.

I'd love to get something like the XtremeMac InCharge Duo... but man... all I can think of is one 6.0 quake and it'd tip over... or at least the dock connectors would become loose quicker. But... I've never seen or used one in person so I don't know.

Am I just over thinking this? Is there anything out there that has good iPad support? I'm willing to spend a little bit, but not too much.

Thanks!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Sounds like you're better off getting one of the metal stands that you use with just a charging cable, rather than a true dock. Several of them are reasonably tip-proof. I use the TwelveSouth BookArc in landscape mode most of the time for charging, and thus far my 15 & 20 pound cats--who knock EVERYTHING off nightstands regularly--haven't managed to disturb it. It's not to say it can't be done, but it's certainly way more stable than any dock I've seen.

The Elago P2 might be another option, as it gives your device a bit more support and is supposedly fairly stable. It's not that heavy though as it's out of aluminum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.