Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Farnborough, UK
When I installed Panther I made it so I had separate disk partitons for my /Users and /Applications directory. Quite a simple proceedure, and one which saves me backing everything up when doing clean OS reinstalls.

Anyway, today I installed Tiger and it appears Apple have done away with the /etc/fstab file, replacing it with an empty /etc/fstab.hd. This was kind of vital for mounting my partitions as /Users and /Applications. So I now have a bit of a problem!

Does anyone know how to do a partitioned install with Tiger, or what the alternative to using fstab is?

Many thanks!

Andy.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Andy C said:
When I installed Panther I made it so I had separate disk partitons for my /Users and /Applications directory. Quite a simple proceedure, and one which saves me backing everything up when doing clean OS reinstalls.

Anyway, today I installed Tiger and it appears Apple have done away with the /etc/fstab file, replacing it with an empty /etc/fstab.hd. This was kind of vital for mounting my partitions as /Users and /Applications. So I now have a bit of a problem!

Does anyone know how to do a partitioned install with Tiger, or what the alternative to using fstab is?

Many thanks!

Andy.

You should have paid attention to what that files says in Panther:
cat /etc/fstab.hd
IGNORE THIS FILE.
This file does nothing, contains no useful data, and might go away in
future releases. Do not depend on this file or its contents.
;)

Anyway, I take it you come from a Unix background, which is why you're messing around in /etc. Macs do everything from the NetInfo manager, you need to add your mount points using that tool, rather than using /etc entries. Have a poke around the net to show you how to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.