Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonathanTT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Hi,

I used Word 2011 to create a page with a lot of mathematical formulas in it. After two pages Word had no problem to save the document. Now I have filled about 2 and a half pages and I can't save the document anymore. When I click the little save button the bottom bar of Word shows some activity for less than a second but then the document isn't saved. The black dot remains in the red dot to warn me to save the document before I close it. If I close it and the say "Yes, save" it's the same. Some activity and then nothing else happens. Word doesn't even close down until I say "Don't save".

What can I do to get around this problem?

Ah. Strange thing is if I save to pdf it works just fine....

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007
Hi,

I used Word 2011 to create a page with a lot of mathematical formulas in it. After two pages Word had no problem to save the document. Now I have filled about 2 and a half pages and I can't save the document anymore. When I click the little save button the bottom bar of Word shows some activity for less than a second but then the document isn't saved. The black dot remains in the red dot to warn me to save the document before I close it. If I close it and the say "Yes, save" it's the same. Some activity and then nothing else happens. Word doesn't even close down until I say "Don't save".

Ah. Strange thing is if I save to pdf it works just fine....

I'd try to create a blank new Word document and copy the new stuff over so nothing would be lost.

Then try to play with saving in different formats(different versions of doc), if not, maybe try to update or reinstall MathType. If it's Word's own problem with memory issues, I'd say give iWork a try maybe?

http://www.apple.com/iwork/download-trial/?cmp

JonathanTT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Problem with Pages is the missing equations editor...

I think I found out it has to do with macros. I opened the file in Office 2010 Windows and got a Warning about activating macros or so. I did that and then saved the file. Then when I opened it with the Mac version again i got the message the file contains stuff Word:Mac can't open. I chose to open nevertheless. Word freezed. I closed it. Then again tried to open it and it workes without any problems in the moment.. Let's see for how long :rolleyes:

Sherri9395

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
Word Not Saving Documents

Like the previous person, I used Word 2011 to create a page but NO math. with a lot of mathematical formulas in it. I can't save the document anymore. When I click the little save button the bottom bar of Word shows some activity for less than a second but then the document isn't saved. The black dot remains in the red dot to warn me to save the document before I close it. If I close it and the say "Yes, save" it's the same. Some activity and then nothing else happens. Word doesn't even close down until I say "Don't save".

baldhor

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Word 2011 not saving my documents

I had the same problem just now: I was working with a file with a very big table imported from Excel and I could not save it (as the previous user, Word showed some activity and then the little black dot inside the red one was still there and I could not close Word if not hitting "don't save"
I solved it by saving the document with the extension .doc instead of .docx
it was saved just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.