Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:48 AM   #1
Shambles
macrumors regular

Install Windows 7 on MBA using another Mac's Superdrive?

I'm getting a 2011 MacBook Air next week, and I'm looking to install Windows 7 on it. I understand that the Air can access other nearby Mac's Superdrives, but I'm not sure if this would work installing Windows 7?

So what I'd like to do is insert the Windows install disc into my brother's MacBook and then access that on my Air over the network to install it.

I assume this wouldn't work as I haven't seen any similar stories on the internet, but it's worth asking about I suppose.

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:23 AM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

The way to install windows on MacBook air is to use an USB drive. If you google there are guides telling you how to do this.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Shambles
macrumors regular

I'm assuming I'll be able to use an SD card just like a memory stick? What program should I use to make the Windows 7 .iso bootable from the card? Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:34 AM   #4
fibrizo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
I'm assuming I'll be able to use an SD card just like a memory stick? What program should I use to make the Windows 7 .iso bootable from the card? Thanks
Not Having the 13 inch one, it's hard for me to be absolutely certain, but given how much trouble the EFI has given me and other people, I wouldn't be surprised if it needed to be off of usb flash drive.

The boot camp installer will make a usb drive for you off of a windows iso. I believe it makes some modifications too, because it refused to boot and install properly another bootable windows 7 usb drive I already had made, and not to mention refused to complete an install of an external usb DVD drive with a windows 7 DVD in it. (Just trying to save you hours of frustration that many of us have gone through)
fibrizo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:38 AM   #5
mulo
macrumors 68020

Send a message via MSN to mulo
negative, the only way to do this is with a superdrive.
the EFI refuses to boot a windows USB pen, even with rEFIt
mulo is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:44 AM   #6
fibrizo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulo View Post
negative, the only way to do this is with a superdrive.
the EFI refuses to boot a windows USB pen, even with rEFIt
This is for the macbook pros only with that get bootcamp 4.0. Macbook AIRS use Bootcamp 4.0.1, which creates a bootable USB for you and REFUSES to boot off external DVD.

PLease check your information before you post. (I own an 2011 air and pro)
fibrizo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:01 AM   #7
Night Spring
macrumors G3

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...m-a-usb-drive/
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Shambles
macrumors regular

So I'll need to be using the MacBook Air's version of Boot Camp to burn the Windows 7 .iso to the SD card? Can't I burn it using a standard MacBook before the Air arrives so it's ready? Sorry for all the questions.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:46 PM   #9
summitRun
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibrizo View Post
This is for the macbook pros only with that get bootcamp 4.0. Macbook AIRS use Bootcamp 4.0.1, which creates a bootable USB for you and REFUSES to boot off external DVD.

Wait...so you cant install Win 7 from an external DVD drive on a 2011 MBA? I hope I am misunderstanding something as that was my plan...
summitRun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:56 PM   #10
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibrizo View Post

You can still use an external DVD connected to the USB port (that's how I got Windows 7 on my 2011 MacBook Air). That said, the USB approach also works now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitRun View Post
Wait...so you cant install Win 7 from an external DVD drive on a 2011 MBA? I hope I am misunderstanding something as that was my plan...
This still works. See above.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
So I'll need to be using the MacBook Air's version of Boot Camp to burn the Windows 7 .iso to the SD card? Can't I burn it using a standard MacBook before the Air arrives so it's ready? Sorry for all the questions.
Bootcamp downloads drivers particular to each Mac, so no, using a standard Mac's bootcamp isn't going to work for the Air. But really, what's the hurry? It only takes a few minutes to create the Windows 7 install USB.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:35 AM   #12
Shambles
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Bootcamp downloads drivers particular to each Mac, so no, using a standard Mac's bootcamp isn't going to work for the Air. But really, what's the hurry? It only takes a few minutes to create the Windows 7 install USB.
Okay cheers, I may as well wait then.
Shambles is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air