Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:12 PM   #1
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

Delete contacts in Address Book

Okay, this is such a stupid question, but how in the **** do you delete contacts from the "All on my Mac" part of the Address Book app in Lion? How in the **** do you do it???
sk1wbw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Dock Status
Banned

Just buy Contact Book and put yourself out of your misery.

That simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
Okay, this is such a stupid question, but how in the **** do you delete contacts from the "All on my Mac" part of the Address Book app in Lion? How in the **** do you do it???
Dock Status is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:19 PM   #3
marc11
macrumors 68000

How are you trying to delete them now? Click once on the contact and hit the delete button on the keyboard? Are you syncing with MM or other computers?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:20 PM   #4
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

Okay, help me understand something here. Neither in this app nor in Address Book on Lion is my "delete" entry reachable. I simply can't delete contacts on my Mac. What the heck is going on?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:22 PM   #5
marc11
macrumors 68000

There is no delete button, you just click the contact once and hit the delete key on your keyboard and the contact will be deleted. You can also select the contact, click Edit and then Delete Contact...Unless I am misunderstanding your question?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:26 PM   #6
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
How are you trying to delete them now? Click once on the contact and hit the delete button on the keyboard? Are you syncing with MM or other computers?
Yeah, it's an Exchange account and I need to delete the contacts in the "on my Mac" section of Address book. And nothing is working.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
There is no delete button, you just click the contact once and hit the delete key on your keyboard and the contact will be deleted. You can also select the contact, click Edit and then Delete Contact...Unless I am misunderstanding your question?
No, you're not. My "delete contact" isn't highlighted. Not sure what to do.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:55 PM   #7
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

Okay, I"ve given up. Neither program will delete a contact. Am I gonna have to reformat my MacBook in order to delete my bad contacts? This is just nuts.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:10 AM   #8
urbantea
macrumors member

yes, how HOW HOW DO YOU DELETE ALL THE CONTACTS AT ONCE? NOT 1 BY 1 .
urbantea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:47 AM   #9
dakwar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantea View Post
yes, how HOW HOW DO YOU DELETE ALL THE CONTACTS AT ONCE? NOT 1 BY 1 .
Click on any contact, then press Command+A to select all. Then Delete.

Or, click any contact, then hold Shift and click a second contact to select that subset. Then Delete.

Or, click any contact, then hold Command and click lots of other contact to select that subset. Then Delete.
dakwar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Mattynabib
macrumors newbie

"Delete" does not work

I'm on Lion, and I am having the same issue - but I think there's a fundamental disconnect here between people having the problem (or separate problems), and the people giving solutions.

The obvious method is not working for us. I'm sure we all tried it.

I am one of these people who can't delete any - much less all - of my contacts. I select one. I press delete. Nothing happens. I select all of them. I press delete (either delete key). Nothing happens. I've scanned the menus, there's no menu option for "remove cards" or "delete contacts" or anything. There doesn't appear to be a preference to clear the address book, or do anything helpful.

What I think we need is either instruction on some OTHER way to delete one or a group of contacts, or someone who can point us to the address book pref file that contains all of the addresses, so it can be deleted.

Anyone?
Mattynabib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 04:08 AM   #11
tonyfirshman
macrumors newbie

Highlight the entry, and from the menu bar, Edit -> Delete Card.
Pressing delete key also works fine for me (OS X 10.8.4)

This is from the 'Contacts' program.
tonyfirshman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:43 AM   #12
jwteters
macrumors newbie

Deleting Contact

Hi,

I was having the same problem. Some contacts had an active delete option in the menu, while others were greyed out. I finally went to the preferences and selected the Accounts feature. I noticed that Facebook was active on the account. When I deactivated Facebook, all the undeletable contacts disappeared and the remaining contacts were now deletable. Fiddle around with that and see what happens. I hope this helps.
jwteters is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store