Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Okay, this is such a stupid question, but how in the **** do you delete contacts from the "All on my Mac" part of the Address Book app in Lion? How in the **** do you do it???

Dock Status

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Just buy Contact Book and put yourself out of your misery.

That simple.

Okay, this is such a stupid question, but how in the **** do you delete contacts from the "All on my Mac" part of the Address Book app in Lion? How in the **** do you do it???

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
How are you trying to delete them now? Click once on the contact and hit the delete button on the keyboard? Are you syncing with MM or other computers?

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Okay, help me understand something here. Neither in this app nor in Address Book on Lion is my "delete" entry reachable. I simply can't delete contacts on my Mac. What the heck is going on?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
There is no delete button, you just click the contact once and hit the delete key on your keyboard and the contact will be deleted. You can also select the contact, click Edit and then Delete Contact...Unless I am misunderstanding your question?

Reactions: chabig

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
How are you trying to delete them now? Click once on the contact and hit the delete button on the keyboard? Are you syncing with MM or other computers?

Yeah, it's an Exchange account and I need to delete the contacts in the "on my Mac" section of Address book. And nothing is working.

----------

There is no delete button, you just click the contact once and hit the delete key on your keyboard and the contact will be deleted. You can also select the contact, click Edit and then Delete Contact...Unless I am misunderstanding your question?

No, you're not. My "delete contact" isn't highlighted. Not sure what to do.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Okay, I"ve given up. Neither program will delete a contact. Am I gonna have to reformat my MacBook in order to delete my bad contacts? This is just nuts.

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
yes, how HOW HOW DO YOU DELETE ALL THE CONTACTS AT ONCE? NOT 1 BY 1 .

Click on any contact, then press Command+A to select all. Then Delete.

Or, click any contact, then hold Shift and click a second contact to select that subset. Then Delete.

Or, click any contact, then hold Command and click lots of other contact to select that subset. Then Delete.

Mattynabib

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
"Delete" does not work

I'm on Lion, and I am having the same issue - but I think there's a fundamental disconnect here between people having the problem (or separate problems), and the people giving solutions.

The obvious method is not working for us. I'm sure we all tried it.

I am one of these people who can't delete any - much less all - of my contacts. I select one. I press delete. Nothing happens. I select all of them. I press delete (either delete key). Nothing happens. I've scanned the menus, there's no menu option for "remove cards" or "delete contacts" or anything. There doesn't appear to be a preference to clear the address book, or do anything helpful.

What I think we need is either instruction on some OTHER way to delete one or a group of contacts, or someone who can point us to the address book pref file that contains all of the addresses, so it can be deleted.

Anyone?

tonyfirshman

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Highlight the entry, and from the menu bar, Edit -> Delete Card.
Pressing delete key also works fine for me (OS X 10.8.4)

This is from the 'Contacts' program.

jwteters

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Deleting Contact

Hi,

I was having the same problem. Some contacts had an active delete option in the menu, while others were greyed out. I finally went to the preferences and selected the Accounts feature. I noticed that Facebook was active on the account. When I deactivated Facebook, all the undeletable contacts disappeared and the remaining contacts were now deletable. Fiddle around with that and see what happens. I hope this helps.

Reactions: astralgod

astralgod

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2017
Thanks, a variation of this helped me.

I had one contact on the "All On My Mac" address book, and I could not delete it.

I disabled all the other Internet accounts that were syncing, and then this contact became deletable.

Cheers.

Deleting Contact

Hi,

I was having the same problem. Some contacts had an active delete option in the menu, while others were greyed out. I finally went to the preferences and selected the Accounts feature. I noticed that Facebook was active on the account. When I deactivated Facebook, all the undeletable contacts disappeared and the remaining contacts were now deletable. Fiddle around with that and see what happens. I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.