Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsbug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Kansas
Hey all,

I have a mid-2007 MacBook that has been pretty loyal to me aside from me having to replace the hard drive a few months ago.

I am having a bit of a WiFi issue. It's just a tiny problem now, but I'm afraid it will turn into a big thing later. I've noticed that now, whenever my computer wakes up from sleep, I have to select my wireless network (no matter where I am, coffee shop or at home) and then restart the computer for it to connect. This has been going on for the past couple of months. Once it's connected, it stays connected, but I'm wondering if my airport is starting to get a little rusty? Are my WiFi capabilities slowly withering?

Anyone had this issue with an old MacBook?

lindsbug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Kansas
No ... no Lion here. (wincing) I'm actually still running 10.4 ... I just can't bring myself to cough up the $100 I need to buy Leopard so I can upgrade to Snow Leopard (which I already purchased thinking I could upgrade directly from Tiger).

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
No ... no Lion here. (wincing) I'm actually still running 10.4 ... I just can't bring myself to cough up the $100 I need to buy Leopard so I can upgrade to Snow Leopard (which I already purchased thinking I could upgrade directly from Tiger).

I'm no expert, but have you tried resetting the PRAM or System Management Controller? I've heard/read that this can often help correct strange behaviors.

Someone in an earlier thread posted a great link about doing this:

http://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/2010/12/04/how-when-why-to-reset-the-pram-smc-on-your-mac/

lindsbug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Kansas
nicklad --

No, I cannot upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard. I apparently have a model of MacBook that won't do it. That sounds stupid, but I pored the internet for hours and hours trying to find a way around it. Seems to work for some but not for others. If you know of a way around this, please let me know -- but I did all my research, wiped the hard drive clean, and inserted the disk only to be greeted with "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer." Apparently many others are having the same issue. Trust me, I'm not the kind of person to give up on this kind of thing (especially if it means saving a lot of money) ... but after a couple of hours of researching on a borrowed PC, I realized I would just have to buy the Leopard set first (>$100) if I want Snow Leopard. I know you're probably skeptical, but I am perfectly convinced that there is no way around it.

Thanks, Centient -- I will try your suggestion before I take the plunge and buy the WiFi card. If I do have to end up buying it, it's only $16 on eBay so no biggie.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
nicklad --

No, I cannot upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard. I apparently have a model of MacBook that won't do it. That sounds stupid, but I pored the internet for hours and hours trying to find a way around it. Seems to work for some but not for others. If you know of a way around this, please let me know -- but I did all my research, wiped the hard drive clean, and inserted the disk only to be greeted with "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer." Apparently many others are having the same issue. Trust me, I'm not the kind of person to give up on this kind of thing (especially if it means saving a lot of money) ... but after a couple of hours of researching on a borrowed PC, I realized I would just have to buy the Leopard set first (>$100) if I want Snow Leopard. I know you're probably skeptical, but I am perfectly convinced that there is no way around it.

Thanks, Centient -- I will try your suggestion before I take the plunge and buy the WiFi card. If I do have to end up buying it, it's only $16 on eBay so no biggie.

Do you have 1GB+ Ram?. Snow leopard requras 1Gb ram to run or install it. is it a retail SL Disc? i did a cleen install of snow leopard on my 2006 macbook and it worked fine for me :)

lindsbug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Kansas
Picture1.png

Those are the specs (Mr. MacBook II because I had to replace the hard drive last summer; I'm quite the comedienne) -- it is a retail SL disk, though it reads "Upgrade Only" (does yours say this??) ... everytime I try to install, it's like it detects that I've never had Leopard on this computer.

As far as the WiFi goes, I think I'm going to have to buy a new card ... tried resetting the PRAM and SMC without a lot of luck. Oh, well, that's to be expected. This thing is getting olllld!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.