Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:43 PM   #1
cdg2sfo
macrumors newbie

Unlocked iPhone is now locked after restore! Please help

I had bought an iPhone 3GS in Belgium where they are unlocked (not connected to a given carrier). Paid the extra bucks for it! I just went through a restore and update after some problems with it. It is now telling me that the iPhone is locked and I have the wrong carrier SIM in it. How can I solve this?
Thanks
cdg2sfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdg2sfo View Post
I had bought an iPhone 3GS in Belgium where they are unlocked (not connected to a given carrier). Paid the extra bucks for it! I just went through a restore and update after some problems with it. It is now telling me that the iPhone is locked and I have the wrong carrier SIM in it. How can I solve this?
Thanks
You need to give us more info about your phone,

Firmware version.
Baseband.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3
cdg2sfo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal-RX View Post

Firmware version.
Baseband.
Initially the phone was not carier locked and was running a 3.x OS. When I had the problem and did a hard restore, I went into restore mode. iTunes updated the firmware to the latest 4.x available. Now, I cannot get passed the "connect to iTunes" screen so I have no idea what the baseband is. And in iTunes, it tells me to put a proper SIM in. I cannot get any information about it. Is there a way to get the information?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Initially the phone was not carier locked and was running a 3.x OS. When I had the problem and did a hard restore, I went into restore mode. iTunes updated the firmware to the latest 4.x available. Now, I cannot get passed the "connect to iTunes" screen so I have no idea what the baseband is. And in iTunes, it tells me to put a proper SIM in. I cannot get any information about it. Is there a way to get the information?
Base on what you describe, you have bought an unlocked iPhone using software. Since you have update/restore it, it is now reset to factory setting as well as updating it's baseband passes 05.13 where you can't unlock it with Ultrasn0w.

There are 2 options you can do to pass this activation screen,
1. Using AT&T sim card to put into your phone, hook it to iTunes and it will bring your phone to home screen. The sim card does not need to be active. You can use old/inactive sim.
2. jailbreake and Hactivate it with Redsn0w. However, please note that it will be a tethered jailbreak because I believe your phone now have 4.3.5 firmware.

Also, even you pass by this screen, you can't unlock it what baseband you have it it now. You will need to install IPad baseband first, then jailbreak it with Ultrasnow.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:

Firmware version.
Baseband.
I don't see why.

That would only really be helpful if the unlock was achieved using a hack.

If you still have proof of purchase, any Apple Store should be able to investigate the issue - even if that store is in another country.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:11 PM   #6
cdg2sfo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Base on what you describe, you have bought an unlocked iPhone using software. Since you have update/restore it, it is now reset to factory setting as well as updating it's baseband passes 05.13 where you can't unlock it with Ultrasn0w.

There are 2 options you can do to pass this activation screen,
1. Using AT&T sim card to put into your phone, hook it to iTunes and it will bring your phone to home screen. The sim card does not need to be active. You can use old/inactive sim.
2. jailbreake and Hactivate it with Redsn0w. However, please note that it will be a tethered jailbreak because I believe your phone now have 4.3.5 firmware.

Also, even you pass by this screen, you can't unlock it what baseband you have it it now. You will need to install IPad baseband first, then jailbreak it with Ultrasnow.
Actually, I bought it brand new from an official store in Belgium. In Belgium, carriers are not allowed to subsidize phones so they are never locked. I paid full price for that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
I don't see why.

If you still have proof of purchase, any Apple Store should be able to investigate the issue - even if that store is in another country.
Nope, unlock was not achieved with a hack. It was totally legal.
I don't have my receipt anymore but I will try my luck at an Apple Store.

thanks
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
I don't see why.

If the phone is factory unlocked, OP should be able to update/restore to latest firmware without loosing it's unlocked. So, it think the phone is hacked and unlocked by using software.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Sounds like the phone was not factory unlocked but jb and software unlocked.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:36 PM   #9
cdg2sfo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Sounds like the phone was not factory unlocked but jb and software unlocked.
Well my previous OS updates and restore did not yield this result.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Well my previous OS updates and restore did not yield this result.
That's weird.
Once a Phone is factory unlocked it doesn't just lock all of a sudden.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:51 PM   #11
MaxBurn
macrumors 65816

I'd say try restoring it again. As far as we know iTunes needs to check with apple to check the unlocked state and unlock it.

Make sure your hosts file doesn't have any apple entries in it that would keep it from reaching apple.
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting