Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
is there anything?

im torn on my next phone

Last edited by a moderator:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
is there anything?

im torn on my next phone

An iPhone gets much better support and software updates than android. The warranty service is superior. IPhone has way more apps. And in my eyes iphone has a much superior UI and OS.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
An iPhone gets much better support and software updates than android. The warranty service is superior. IPhone has way more apps.

This. It doesn't mean Android phones suck, they're just different. They're more customizable than the stock iPhone OS. Android also offers the ability to choose your phone with dozens of different options.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
FaceTime.

Well that's a given for now. There are so many alternatives and I do hope FaceTime is offered by Apple for other systems.

Anyway, I honestly can't thing of something that is serious that an iPhone can do that an Android phone can't.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
This. It doesn't mean Android phones suck, they're just different. They're more customizable than the stock iPhone OS. Android also offers the ability to choose your phone with dozens of different options.

More options doesn't make a product any better.

A automobile manufacturer can offer a dozen different horn sounds for a particular car but does it mean that the car itself will perform better?

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
software software software.

Every software that's written and available on iOS is expected to work flawlessly because apple controls hardware and os.
Because of this reason, (along w/ the fact that people actually spend money on apps) there are more and better software being written for iOS.

That's all you have to know.
THis is indisputable truth.

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
Don't ever compare phones by Apps. That is not even a factor anymore. Almost anything I've ever wanted is in the market.
The customization for me is a big plus. The bigger screen for games and media too.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Honestly there is nothing but there is a lot of things an Android can do that an iphone can't or won't.

That is the reason a day doesn't go by that an Android thread doesn't get created here. If it was really a piece of junk there wouldn't be these debates.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
FaceTime.

Well that's a given for now. There are so many alternatives and I do hope FaceTime is offered by Apple for other systems.

Anyway, I honestly can't thing of something that is serious that an iPhone can do that an Android phone can't.

A weird bunch around here...this is voted up for what reason?

The post itself mentions there are "so many alternatives" to FaceTime. And FaceTime is inferior to those other options. FT can only be used while connected to wifi and can only be used iPhone 4 to iPhone 4.

To the OP...the question is really invalid. You'd have to be more specific. Android isn't a single phone. Both platforms have their pros and cons.

Vikingjunior nails it. Android OS allows the users to do so much more.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida

Every software that's written and available on iOS is expected to work flawlessly because apple controls hardware and os.
Because of this reason, (along w/ the fact that people actually spend money on apps) there are more and better software being written for iOS.

I would mostly agree with this statement. I am a fan of tech in general and have used android, webos, blackberry and iOS phones and without a doubt, imho, the iphone's software is the smoothest and most intuitive of all that I've used. That includes native and 3rd party apps. I've briefly used a few android phones during my 3GS and IP4 days and within 1 week I miss my iPhone. Apple fanboyism ftw

Edit
In all fairness tho, I will say that there are things that I feel are sorely missing from iOS that Android supports mainly a file storage system (hate not being able to reply to an email and add an attachment like word doc or excel doc or something). Android is def a cool OS but the intuitiveness of iOS is just not there

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

Not really, depends on the user. The only app I missed from my iPhone when I used an Android device was iTunes Remote. They now have decent options for that, but I'm sure they don't work quite as well as the one for the iPhone...and that's to be expected. Just like Google Voice app works better on Android than it does on my iPhone.

Also, widgets would be part of the software...and they are non-existent on iOS. Something I miss very much from my Atrix.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
It can shatter into 1000 pieces if you drop it.

Seriously the apps are pretty comparable between the two platforms but most things are easier and more intuitive on iPhone. There's no back or menu buttons. Also iPhone has a convenient silent/ringer switch. Android phones always seem to be ahead in screen technology and processing speed.

xavierpunkreno

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010

This. I'm curious to see how the purchase of Motorola by Google is going to work out though in regards to this.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
It can shatter into 1000 pieces if you drop it.

Seriously the apps are pretty comparable between the two platforms but most things are easier and more intuitive on iPhone. There's no back or menu buttons. Also iPhone has a convenient silent/ringer switch. Android phones always seem to be ahead in screen technology and processing speed.

I don't think the lack of a back button is an advantage for the iPhone. Maybe if I started with the iPhone I would feel different, but I find a back button helpful in many instances.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Couple of others:

-iPhones play well with Macs much better than Android devices do with other computers. Apple's system is designed to integrate Apple products. Android products are standalones.

-iPhones can play iTunes DRM'd content. Androids can't.

-Apps makers usually offer iOS versions before Android versions.

-iPhones and Blackberry's are more accepted by business clients Than Androids because of their enhanced security features.

-Many more brands make Made for iPhone specific accessories.

Etc., Etc., Etc.,

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Not all of these apply to everyone's situation, but here's a few things that I personally find most useful and that keep me on iPhone vs. considering an Android phone:
  • The App Store - WAY more apps than Android. Yes, you can usually find "an" app for Android that will do what you want, but many, many more developers release on iOS than on Android - and the quality of apps available shows it.
  • Integration with iTunes - if you keep your music and/or videos on iTunes, syncing is painless (and soon wireless, with iOS 5). iPhone was my first Apple product - I now also have two Apple TV's and an iPad, and I love the fact that I can get at my media from any device.
  • Battery life - no Android phone comes close
  • iCloud synchronization - this is going to be a MAJOR game-changer in iOS 5 (due for release next month
iMessage and FaceTime are great, but not critical to me. YMMV. I love the fact that most of my iPhone apps also run on my iPad (without buying them again), but I suppose that could be true of Android apps if you also had an Android tablet so you could consider that a wash.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
The iOS user experience is much smoother in my experience (iPod Touch vs. Android phone, single-core A4 chip vs. single-core 1ghz Snapdragon). Everything from basic things (e.g. web browsing) to third-party apps is usually nicer on my Touch (e.g. try playing with the Pulse app on iOS and then compare to Android).

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Couple of others:

-iPhones play well with Macs much better than Android devices do with other computers. Apple's system is designed to integrate Apple products. Android products are standalones.

Apple themselves disagree that having the phone a "standalone" device is inferior, as they are moving towards that with iOS 5.

Not to mention, my Atrix played just fine with my PC. It also could wirelessly sync with it giving me control of text messaging and other functions right on my PC

----------

Not all of these apply to everyone's situation, but here's a few things that I personally find most useful and that keep me on iPhone vs. considering an Android phone:
  • The App Store - WAY more apps than Android. Yes, you can usually find "an" app for Android that will do what you want, but many, many more developers release on iOS than on Android - and the quality of apps available shows it.
  • Integration with iTunes - if you keep your music and/or videos on iTunes, syncing is painless (and soon wireless, with iOS 5). iPhone was my first Apple product - I now also have two Apple TV's and an iPad, and I love the fact that I can get at my media from any device.
  • Battery life - no Android phone comes close
  • iCloud synchronization - this is going to be a MAJOR game-changer in iOS 5 (due for release next month
iMessage and FaceTime are great, but not critical to me. YMMV. I love the fact that most of my iPhone apps also run on my iPad (without buying them again), but I suppose that could be true of Android apps if you also had an Android tablet so you could consider that a wash.

Integration with iTunes was a concern of mine before (BB) my iPhone and when moving to Android. BB desktop software had the ability to sync your iTunes content to your phone, and there's an app called DoubleTwist that smoothly syncs your iTunes content with Android. There are probably other solutions as well.

It's not the same as having iTunes on the phone, but it works well.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
There's nothing iPhone can do that Android can't, the only difference is the way the OS goes about performing the tasks given. It's a matter of what suits your needs better. Can I also suggest that you check out WP7, with Mango it's pretty much on par with other platforms, and has been said to be smoother than iOS.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
Hello apple team,
About 4 months ago I switched to an Android phone. I didn’t want to switch, but with work supplying me a phone I didn’t want to pay for extra service. There are the differences in both phones, but I’m not here to debate which phone is better. You all know which one is……Your phone is better. I will however, tell you the one single part of the iPhone 4 I miss. I miss the screen. I’ve turned in three phones because of dust underneath the glass. My old iPhone 4 screen never had a spec of dust underneath the glass at all. I found out that apple adheres the screen to the glass. Now that my business switched providers, Verizon, I’m holding out for the iP5. I hope the iPhone 5 will have the same production as the 4.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
About the only think iOS has that Android does not have is being able to play the DRM stuff from the iTunes store. That would be movies and old music files from the iTMS. Other wise no not really.

There are several apps that can do something like Facetime and of those I believe several are cross platform and work with iOS.
Several Apps work like iMessager. Go Devs have one that work with any other Go Dev SMS client and will switch between SMS and Go Chat (a feature I turned off)

As for Apps well while the iOS has more it really does not matter the good Apps are on both platforms.
As for Keyboards I am going to say Android wins out big time in that department.

Simple answer not much.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
It runs software that is made by people with a sense of design and culture.

Android is made by and for the geeks. Nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.