Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:18 PM   #101
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
SwiftKey keyboard has the swype down short cut that you want and to bring it back up it is a tap in text area.
HTC keyboards have a little icon on the left to drop the keyboard down. Some phones also drop it if you tap the Menu key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
But overall it comes down to what's been said since day one, iPhone is just a better experience.
For you, sure. Other people can have different needs, wants... and histories.

It's a well known phenomenon that user preference often comes down to the type of UI a person learned on first.

For instance, people who started with a dedicated Back button often miss it when it's not available.
kdarling is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:20 PM   #102
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
The ease of setting things up and the fact that it remains stable & worry free is a huge factor.

All I've seen in this thread is Android users replying to what the iPhone does with their own bootlegged version of how to do it on an Android. I'm pretty sure most iPhone users don't want to deal with all of the complications. Sure Android can sync, airplay, videochat, and etc: with the right apps and tweaks. But to have it done as smoothly, reliable, and near flawless as the iPhone is just not where Android is at right now.

Being that said, I do like some of the things better on Android. Like the Google integration, especially with Google Voice compared to on the iPhone.

But overall it comes down to what's been said since day one, iPhone is just a better experience.
I wonder if Google ONLY put it's efforts into ONE or TWO devices how it would be? I would bet it would be 10x better then any iphone.

I applaud Google for all it's efforts and working with all these different manufactures so we can have different sizes and shapes. Variety is the spice of life.

I applaud Google and the manufactures for making low cost Android devices.

In the end Google/Android is going to win this silly little battle because they have the right mindset.

Even Windows is going to surpass Apple in the end because they to have the right mindset.

People must think Android is going to get more unstable but in fact they are getting more and more stable while doing so much more.

Again if Android was a piece of junk this thread wouldn't be 5 pages long and counting, the fact of the matter is Android has come a long way and getting better.
vikingjunior is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:21 PM   #103
aohus
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
Is the iphone battery genuinely better than most androids? Because I complain about my iphones battery as it is.
you can definitely tinker with an android phone to get more battery life than an iPhone 4, but requires rooting/tinkering, so much that the average consumer wouldn't go through the hassle.

yes, out of the box, iPhone4 delivers the best battery life compared to Android phones. This is more of a carrier/handset manufacturer issue than anything else though.
aohus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:22 PM   #104
boss.king
macrumors 68040
 
boss.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGbrandon View Post
Not feel like a piece of cheap plastic.
Yeah, cos all of them are made of plastic right?
__________________
LG Nexus 4
iPad Mini
boss.king is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:28 PM   #105
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
For you, sure. Other people can have different needs, wants... and histories.
Of course I know that. I just don't feel the need to put a "In My Opinion" disclaimer on every post I make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
It's a well known phenomenon that user preference often comes down to the type of UI a person learned on first.

For instance, people who started with a dedicated Back button often miss it when it's not available.
Actually I disagree. Yea for a short time there might still be a learning curve or preference, but most usually adapt and become accustomed to change. There is a decent percentage of folks who refuse or just never become naturally accustomed to change.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:28 PM   #106
Krandor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Just going to point out that you are pretty wrong on a lot of that.
Double Twist can handle the syncing of smart play list. It updates off of your iTunes playlist.

Air play again go check out double twist. Also DLNA devices play just fine off of the Android phone. Sadly Apple choose not to take part there but you yet again Double twist Airplay can play to your Apple TV.

Yes there are remotes in the Android Market Place.
.
You didn't read the last paragraph where I said there were 3rd party products that would tie into the apple ecosystem, but there is nothing from google to compete with it.

If you are still going to sync with itunes from a 3rd party product then you haven't really replaced itunes. Second you are dealing with a 3rd party product and not something that is built into android.

Double twist (again, third party) does have airplay but does not have full airplay support. It does not work with airport express for example. Again, they are just tieing into the Apple ecosystem instead of building something to compete.

There are remotes, but do they function like the apple remote for controlling itunes/ATV type products? I doubt it. The apple remote is more then just a replacement for a remote that comes with the apple TV. In fact, it is far superior to the crappy remote that comes with ATV.
Krandor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:30 PM   #107
erialvzz805
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Google (the maker of Android) PAYS Apple to be the default search engine on iPhone. I can guarantee that before Google Music, Google would have paid apple to have iTunes on Droids. That simple. Apple doesn't need any of its technology on Droids, yet Google pays to be on iOS.
erialvzz805 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:36 PM   #108
Fireblade
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas4ever View Post
  • Quality Apps
  • software support
  • the OS it's written only for this device and is smoother
  • easy to use
  • it's an iPhone
  • and it's made from Apple!

and way more things...
Chrchrchrchr ... thank you for this, you made my day!!!

Please do me a favor:

May i use this post as my sig in other forums???

I am serious, this is no joke!!
Fireblade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:41 PM   #109
xdbuix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
An iPhone causes alot more news than an android phone for sure.
xdbuix is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:47 PM   #110
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by erialvzz805 View Post
Apple doesn't need any of its technology on Droids,
Stop right there, isn't that where Samsung got caught on by the courts for violating Apple's gesture patent?
TM WAZZA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:51 PM   #111
theperipheral
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Why do people every complain about batteries not lasting more than a day? It's so stupid. When you go to sleep at night, just plug the effing phone in and it'll be charged when you wake up the next day. As long as the phone battery can last 14 or 15 hour span, it should be fine and it shouldn't matter if the battery is at 10% or 50% at the end of that span, because you're going to be asleep, not using the phone anyway.
theperipheral is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:54 PM   #112
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
Is the iphone battery genuinely better than most androids? Because I complain about my iphones battery as it is.
If you are in an area with a strong signal, then your iPhone 4 can last 2 days with moderate use, 3+ at idle.

Very few smartphones with large touchscreens are capable of that kind of battery life. It is a benefit of the iPhone4's dim(mer than others) IPS display, lack of multi-tasking, and lack of flash.

Most android phones need to be on the charger after a day of moderate use. I usually carry a spare battery in my pocket with my phone if I know that I will be out all day moving around too much to use a charger.
Tarzanman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:58 PM   #113
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingjunior View Post
I wonder if Google ONLY put it's efforts into ONE or TWO devices how it would be? I would bet it would be 10x better then any iphone.
No, it would just be the another Nexus.



Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingjunior View Post
I applaud Google for all it's efforts and working with all these different manufactures so we can have different sizes and shapes. Variety is the spice of life.

I applaud Google and the manufactures for making low cost Android devices.

In the end Google/Android is going to win this silly little battle because they have the right mindset.

Even Windows is going to surpass Apple in the end because they to have the right mindset.
Win what battle? There is not really a battle to win.

You talk as is Google is some robin hood company that takes care of the average Joe, when fact is Google is just out to permanently become a part of everyone's DNA.

You thank Google a lot. Have you thanked Google for the crappy phones too, instead of just the good ones? You think Google cares about all the crappy devices being shoved on to unsuspected consumers in their name. Absolutely not, as long as the phone's personal contents are stored on their database.

I personally think Windows phone will surpass Android if MS stays committed to it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingjunior View Post
People must think Android is going to get more unstable but in fact they are getting more and more stable while doing so much more.
To many variables between devices to make this statement true or false. My be true on one new device and false on another new device. For many that gets old quick. Even MS is trying to keep things tight with W7.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:00 PM   #114
FmaxTurboSi
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: socal
Quote:
Originally Posted by utl768 View Post
is there anything?

im torn on my next phone
create crazy lines in order to purchase one, and months and months of rumors speculating about the next gen.
__________________
13 i5 MBP
iPhone4 16gb iPhone4s 16gb
iPod nano 4gb iPod shuffle 2gb
iPhone 3GS 16gb (sold) iPhone 3G 8gb (sold) iPhone 8gb (sold)
FmaxTurboSi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:08 PM   #115
Krandor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
N
You talk as is Google is some robin hood company that takes care of the average Joe, when fact is Google is just out to permanently become a part of everyone's DNA.
That is the part that worries me the most. People talk about not being able to escape the apple ecosystem, but in reality it is the google ecosystem that is impossible to escape. Who doesn't use at least one or two google apps? You have google dominating search, bug player in the mail market, also in the voice market, contacts, calendar, the phone market, getting into social networking, pretty much own online maps, and also want to move into the TV market heavily. Google makes some nice stuff, but I do wonder at times how much of my information do I want handled by a single company - especially a company whose primary source of revenue is advertising. People get bent out of shape over the location information that might have been sent to Cupertino (but wasn't), but happily give all their info to Google.
Krandor is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:20 PM   #116
Grahamwho
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

My best friend works at Verizon something he told me the other day was that out of all the android phones they have right now none of them will output Netflix over hdmi, if the android phone happens to have an hdmi port, it will black out the screen if u hook it up to a tv. The iPhone can push out Netflix and etc over airplay or hdmi, composite, component, or VGA w/ an adapter.
Grahamwho is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:23 PM   #117
lilo777
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
So, as we can see from all these posts, here is nothing iPhone can do that Android phones can't. The opposite however is not true. Here is what Android phones can do that iPhone can't:

* NFC (near-field communications)
* [AM]OLED screens
* true HD screens (1280 x 720)
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards
* Pen input ( la Samsung Note)
* variety of screen sizes (so that a person could choose what fits him/her best)
* ability to install applications not approved by Apple (or anybody else to that matter)
* phone unlocking by finger-print reader
lilo777 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:32 PM   #118
Grahamwho
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Another thing he said which I was pretty shocked about was out of the phones with front facing cameras, at least at vzw, can't use like fring, tango etc, for video calls and utilize the FFC, they can use the back camera but not the front. Which kinda defeats the purpose. Maybe he's wrong I dont know first hand but he's an android fanboy, and said he had personally tried it with every android phone vzw has right now. Crazy stuff. Can anyone confirm this?
Grahamwho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:33 PM   #119
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
So, as we can see from all these posts, here is nothing iPhone can do that Android phones can't. The opposite however is not true. Here is what Android phones can do that iPhone can't:

* NFC (near-field communications)
* [AM]OLED screens
* true HD screens (1280 x 720)
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards
* Pen input ( la Samsung Note)
* variety of screen sizes (so that a person could choose what fits him/her best)
* ability to install applications not approved by Apple (or anybody else to that matter)
* phone unlocking by finger-print reader

And the ONE phone that has that all is? ..............

Pen Input, Finger -print reader, REALLY? That's like comparing small things like the iPhone hard silent toggle.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:34 PM   #120
Tilpots
macrumors 601
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingjunior View Post
In the end Google/Android is going to win this silly little battle because they have the right mindset.

Even Windows is going to surpass Apple in the end because they to have the right mindset.
.
In the end? Well today, Apple's killing them both. Check their bank roll. Android's partners have made about 75 or so devices compared to Apple's 4. None of those 75 have outsold the current gen Apple product. Android's have come a long way, but we're years away from them producing a single phone that can top the latest iPhone. Even that estimate might be too generous.

The consumer has and continues to choose their favorite device. Apple wins year in and year out.
__________________
A tree is known by its fruit.
Tilpots is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:43 PM   #121
lilo777
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
And the ONE phone that has that all is? ..............

Pen Input, Finger -print reader, REALLY? That's like comparing small things like the iPhone hard silent toggle.
No single phone has it all but people can choose the phones that do have the features they prefer most. Also, many Android phones have everything iPhone does and then a few extras from the aforementioned list.
lilo777 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:55 PM   #122
Grahamwho
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Is there an android phone that can video out to VGA hdmi composite and component? Just curious.
Grahamwho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:59 PM   #123
naths
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bristol.UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
So, as we can see from all these posts, here is nothing iPhone can do that Android phones can't. The opposite however is not true. Here is what Android phones can do that iPhone can't:

* NFC (near-field communications)
* [AM]OLED screens
* true HD screens (1280 x 720)
* LED indicators
* metal enclosures
* Gorilla Glass
* 4G (LTE)
* Dual Core CPUs
* 1GB RAM
* flash memory cards
* Pen input ( la Samsung Note)
* variety of screen sizes (so that a person could choose what fits him/her best)
* ability to install applications not approved by Apple (or anybody else to that matter)
* phone unlocking by finger-print reader

well said,and thats only the current versions,quad-core soon,and samsungs newest screen,supposed to be a lot better than samoled...
and the nexus prime with is googles flagship,and as with all nexus phones 100% google backed....just seems a bit odd why apple are releasing a phone with specs(rumoured,may be better) that only match current android phones,yet in a couple of months the new android devices are going to be a lot lot better than the current,along with the release of the latest version of android,ICS.
naths is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:04 PM   #124
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
In the end? Well today, Apple's killing them both. Check their bank roll. Android's partners have made about 75 or so devices compared to Apple's 4. None of those 75 have outsold the current gen Apple product. Android's have come a long way, but we're years away from them producing a single phone that can top the latest iPhone. Even that estimate might be too generous.

The consumer has and continues to choose their favorite device. Apple wins year in and year out.

Give it one more year pal and see where were at then. Apple had a good run but as always there close minded mentality will be the crux of them.
vikingjunior is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:18 PM   #125
Grahamwho
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Ram and processor specs are good to compare between android phones, but mean less when comparing iOS and android. The iP4 has a single core a8 probably runnin somewhere around 850mhz and still runs smother than a lot of the faster clocked or dual core android phones. Not saying they don't matter at all just sayin.
Grahamwho is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you use an iPhone to find a lost Android phone? And vice-versa? Sounds Good Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 16 Mar 20, 2013 12:35 PM
Android to iPhone or vice versa: top 3 pros/cons? phositadc Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 54 Dec 13, 2012 06:16 PM
General: Why can't we just make iPhones run android and vice-versa? cnguyen0320 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Nov 2, 2012 02:55 AM
Why buy Windows RT instead of iPad (and vice versa)? ozaz Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 25 Sep 18, 2012 08:23 PM
Dropbox in Skydrive (or vice versa) DrDoug Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Jun 29, 2012 07:14 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC