Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ah123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
I think the story has more credibility than the other rumours, though, as it doesn't begin with 'According to an analyst...'

Chilks

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
Those features and upgrades would be more than enough to make me buy one - even with the lack of a redesign. :)

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
That story should contain a disclaimer

Warning: Article contains the phrases:

-"...references have been found in the iOS SDK..."
- "...from what we’ve heard..."
- "...according to people familiar with the feature..."

Although to be fair I think their summary of specs (A5 SOC, 1GB RAM, 8MP camera, GSM + CDMA, Assistant voice control) is what we'll see. All we need to know now is screen size and case design.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

TSX said:
I thought we basically knew all this stuff already.

My sentiments exactly. Seems more like an attempt to ride the heightened hype for more page views to me.

lellis2k

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Uh Oh, reading that makes it sound like a big new feature for the next iPhone, a feature big enough to justify only releasing an iPhone 4S, which I hope isn't the case.

Because although it sounds like a big feature, I don't think people will use it enough, voice controlling just isn't as practical as pressing a few buttons, it works better when there's no noise (rare), people wont want to talk to their phones in public and it's solving a problem that doesn't really exist.

I really hope this isn't what we're getting instead of a bigger screen, thinner phone with less bezel, the form factor looks pants now compared to many droids :(

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2010
Uh Oh, reading that makes it sound like a big new feature for the next iPhone, a feature big enough to justify only releasing an iPhone 4S, which I hope isn't the case.

Because although it sounds like a big feature, I don't think people will use it enough, voice controlling just isn't as practical as pressing a few buttons, it works better when there's no noise (rare), people wont want to talk to their phones in public and it's solving a problem that doesn't really exist.

I really hope this isn't what we're getting instead of a bigger screen, thinner phone with less bezel, the form factor looks pants now compared to many droids :(

The article is probably softening us up before we get hit by the eventual blow next week.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If improved voice control is the "killer feature" I'm a little disappointed. It'll have niche uses and accessibility benefits to be sure, but in terms of revolutionizing how everyone uses their phone, the thought of everyone speaking most commands rather than quietly typing and touching seems like it would get annoying really fast.

Also if they really need to bump up the ram for it to work well, I'd just as happily turn it off and not have a potential resource hog running!

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I'm still holding out for a refresh. I am not the biggest fan of the square design. But if there is no refresh I will still be buying one because my mother is using a 3g and needs and upgrade to my current 3gs. :D

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Did some of you even read the article? This voice recognition stuff is absolutely insane and is easily worth the upgrade.

The wolfram alpha info is totally new and it's big. Very big. Check out the wolfram alpha website and just see what it can do. If apple is merging that with voice recognition technology? That's freakin insane..and amazing.

I know it's cliche but this really would change everything...again.

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
When I first got on this morning and read their website I was like "Did I sleep through a day and the next iPhone was released or something :confused:"

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Did some of you even read the article? This voice recognition stuff is absolutely insane and is easily worth the upgrade.

The wolfram alpha info is totally new and it's big. Very big. Check out the wolfram alpha website and just see what it can do. If apple is merging that with voice recognition technology? That's freakin insane..and amazing.

I know it's cliche but this really would change everything...again.

Yeah, what he describes is pretty badass.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If improved voice control is the "killer feature" I'm a little disappointed. It'll have niche uses and accessibility benefits to be sure, but in terms of revolutionizing how everyone uses their phone, the thought of everyone speaking most commands rather than quietly typing and touching seems like it would get annoying really fast.

Also if they really need to bump up the ram for it to work well, I'd just as happily turn it off and not have a potential resource hog running!
So what would you like?

I'm not trying to be a jackass. I'm honestly curious what you want to see as a new "killer feature"? Or are there hardware changes you want?

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know any other provider that could speed up a 16 month old phone, add a couple of features to the OS and market it as worthy of being called a brand new phone.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010

People talking around talking to themselves on their bluetooth earpieces gets annoying enough. I cannot imagine people walking around a grocery store speaking commands to their phones.

Customer in line : "Home Screen"
cashier : huh, what was that?
Customer : Oh, I was talking to my phone. play barry manilow

----------

I don't know any other provider that could speed up a 16 month old phone, add a couple of features to the OS and market it as worthy of being called a brand new phone.

Droid
Droid 2
Droid X
Droid 3

Are there really major huge upgrades between all of those?

MojoDojo

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
There's just nothing new in that report at all. And who really cares about voice control? It's great when you're driving or if you're handicapped, but it's hardly a game changer I think - especially considering how good Android's voice controls are.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
This article is retarded. Whether or not any of it's true, rehashing all the rumors in one large article doesn't make it a good article. I don't know if the new iphone will be a redesign or not, I have actually stopped caring, I just think these writers need to find a job they are good at...rather than just ******** out the same story every day.

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010

They did release the Verizon 4 this year too. Yeah, that's not much of an upgrade. But it still took Apple resources to make it happen. It's not like they have done nothing with the iPhone over the last 16 months.

But yeah, it hopefully will be a nice upgrade since it has been so long (in Apple time) between "updates".

It sounds like the multiband radio is going to happen. That is huge for Apple because it means no more multiple versions of the phone. I really like that feature but I understand most people don't care.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise

But that's just one of Motorola's lines. If Apple was releasing multiple other versions and then happened to throw in an upgraded iPhone 4 that would be comparable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.