Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpk2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
CVL Wireless was asked that question last week by a potential OEM app client. Our basic reasoning for adding In APP Purchases is the following:

1) Market value meaning that there might be a feature that is probably a higher value than the value set for the “basic” iOS app.

2) It is a great way to see how popular and long-lasting the iOS App really is.

3) An easy way for the app user to signal that they are pleased with the iOS App that they downloaded, usually for free.

Should iOS Developers really be using inAPP Purchases to define value?

CVL Wireless iOS Apps with In APP Purchases can be downloaded from iTunes by clicking the following links:

Crazy Stars
Canada Spirit

Click here for CVL Wireless's Website

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Another question is, why do iOS developers try to hide the fact that they just want to post links to their apps by asking a lame question and then answering it themselves?

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
Because they don't want to lose money to piracy? Seems like CVL Wireless doesn't know the iOS environment too well. :rolleyes:

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Because they don't want to lose money to piracy? Seems like CVL Wireless doesn't know the iOS environment too well. :rolleyes:

Like that works. The pirates just download cracked versions of the IAPs and install them.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I think so. I know a couple of people who jailbreak to download pirated apps (against my advice ;) - and they spend a lot of time messing about, reinstalling, fixing broken stuff... and all to save maybe $10 for the few apps they use!)

For example, I've seen that they've got hipstamatic, plus all the extra filter packs.

dpk2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Thanks for the thoughts!!

Appreciate everyone's contribution to the discussion.
=> Never considered rip-offs as a good reason to an IAP to the app.
=> You are right we are naive to the environment of jailbreaks etc.
=> From a long term business perspective, the 30% holdback by Apple is not that excessive.
=> There are so many lawsuits in the mobile market right now, I suspect that the lawyers are going after the deep pockets of Apple and Google.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
In-App purchases are deceptive.....

In App purchases without a warning that you are making a purchase is unethical and particularly targets children as well as unsuspecting adults. In App purchase options should be shut off by default when purchasing a devices and every time someone downloads an app or is about to make an in-App purchase there should be a warning like one sees in nearly every on-line purchase one makes on the web.

Most warnings state something like the following, "By clicking on the submit button you agree to purchase the following for $xxx.xx. If you don't agree please click cancel."

Unfortunately, in-App purchases never seem to warn when you are about to purchase, which is outrageous and deceptive. I had nearly $1,000 in bogus TapZoo purchases that my children made while playing the game. They had no idea that this so-called "free" game had hidden in-App purchases and neither did I. Apple agreed with me and reimbursed my credit card for all unauthorized purchases.

What irks me is that Apple's policy still allows for in-App purchases. Many people are upset about this and yet Apple doesn't seem to care about tarnishing its otherwise stellar reputation and business model.

People expect that when they buy something on the internet or on a mobile device it won't be done in a devious and deceptive manner; and most people fume the first time they find out they made such purchases when an Apple statement is sent to them or when a credit card statement is sent. Not a very honest way of selling a product, is it.

Consumers expect transparency and honesty when they purchase a product or service.

dpk2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
In App Purchases

Thanks for your reply. Recently we were approached by a company selling ad space inside of apps. Essentially you buy or download an app and the next thing you know you have a video clip ( a commercial) playing in your new app.

We have been looking at this from both sides using it to advertise some apps and as well adding the ad space in our next "free" apps. If we had to make a choice today we would decline to use the service, we feel that there would be adverse effect by the very consumers we want to buy our apps.

Image is everything.. what do you think of in APP adverts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.