Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I'm in the process of looking for some protection for my new MBA and was curious as to whether a case or sleeve would be better. Some of the old threads I found were leaning more towards sleeves but it seemed that was influenced by lack of quality cases in the market at the time.

I've used my old white macbook with just a sleeve before, and the abuse showed, but the white plastic on the old MBs don't dent. Would it be more advisable in this case to go for a snap on case vs a sleeve?

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I just use a sleeve. I considered a Speck case, but decided to keep the MBA nekkid.

Nekkid does feel and look much better...Does the air dent easily? I'm not really worried about scratches since that doesn't really effect it's main function. But a dent on the back of the lcd screen I imagine would look very very bad.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Speck shell+ sleeve. Only because I use it to take notes in classes. My Air would be dent+scratch central without the Speck.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Speck shell+ sleeve. Only because I use it to take notes in classes. My Air would be dent+scratch central without the Speck.

The reviews of the specks on amazon say they crack easily tho. Anyone know anything about the quality of ipearl mcover cases?

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Nekkid does feel and look much better...Does the air dent easily? I'm not really worried about scratches since that doesn't really effect it's main function. But a dent on the back of the lcd screen I imagine would look very very bad.

I'm sure it could dent if you dropped it or dropped something on it, but that's not something I intend to do, so it's not a concern for me.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I'm sure it could dent if you dropped it or dropped something on it, but that's not something I intend to do, so it's not a concern for me.

lol yes I don't think any of us intend to drop anything on our laptops. Can't control the actions of other people tho when you're in lecture, at the cafe or @work!

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
lol yes I don't think any of us intend to drop anything on our laptops. Can't control the actions of other people tho when you're in lecture, at the cafe or @work!

I guess I don't coffee shop enough with my MBA for it to be an issue. ^_^

stark4

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
why would you want to cover up your beautiful MBA with ugly case and add weight? just be careful when you use it and you dont even need a case or anything like that..

my mba is naked.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
why would you want to cover up your beautiful MBA with ugly case and add weight? just be careful when you use it and you dont even need a case or anything like that..

my mba is naked.

Do you have a sleeve that you recommend? I'm starting to lean more towards a sleeve, especially since all the current available cases have very mixed reviews until you start heading towards the 75+ dollar range.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
i use an incipio case and its not too shabby. nice and thin. the only downside is that the cover kinda clips the mini display port a bit so the plug is not in fully but still usable. sure it's not nekkid, but i like the color black. plus it has a nice felt like feeling than plastic. the only reason i bought the case mostly was to protect the rubber feet. dunno but i go crazy when i slide my mba across and the rubber rubs against the surface, hence the cover :D

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
Here's my 2 cents, coming from the perspective of ownership of the very first laptop- the GRiD in Mid 1982 (paid for by my company on Wall Street, not out of my pocket!) through the very first Apple laptop- the PowerBook 100, all through the years and various lines, 540c, 3400c, TiBook 677 DVI, and now to 2 of the MBA's- two of the first Rev A's and now a brand new Rev "E" 2011, 13" i5, 1.7Ghz 128SSD/Sammy.

Even with the surest hands you will drop it, or somebody will mess with your laptop, and to my experience there in no case for a Mac laptop that will protect it from a long drop onto a hard surface. Period. Although I have heard of a polycarbonate/padded vault- which has way too much open space inside for the MBA in my research. So the best you can expect is some sort of case to offer some protection against various assaults. This breaks down into two areas I have found.

Working cases, those that stay on and you work from, and sleeves for protection in a more protective carrying cases.

There was a case that snapped on my first MBA, 2 parts, upper and lower, fit perfectly too, lightly-padded, and leather-covered, but with polycarbonate underneath. Great padded feel, added a pound or so and some thickness and was great for all scrapes and many minor impacts, but it sort of defeated the purpose of an ultraportable premium laptop. They look great nekkid IMO. So that eventually ruled out this great case- whose name escapes me now. I just can't imagine a keep-on case that I would always want to keep on and work from.

Then there are the brittle keep-on covers- but since I don't like cracks, and even the normal every day bumps IN THE CARRYING CASE will crack most if not all eventually. And none of them are worth looking at all of the time. I don't want a pink or shiny plastic-looking laptop. Sorry.

So this to me leaves either skins- of which I haven't found any of that I want to look at more than my bare MBA- although there are some leather skins which seem a nice compromise in the scratch-prevention area- which I believe is one of two other areas to focus on.

Unless you can guarantee that nobody else will handle your MBA!

I have had three broken in my ownership. Once a child in a Starbucks poured a latte onto my keyboard while the parents laughed. Don't ask. Insurance covered this one. Once somebody caught the headphone cord and pulled the laptop onto carpet from a table. MagSafe could not prevent this one- unless there was something similar for the audio jacks! The person manned-up and paid for the repairs out of their pocket. (Dead HDD, bent corner & cracked screen.) Second time it was kicked, another person paid for repairs. (Killed HDD, audio /USB board damaged) Bottom line if you have sure hands, use them to keep your MBA out of everybody's hands, and it should be safe from damage during usage. But I would NEVER put the MBA into any kind of a case without some kind of a protective sleeve. This is the only thing I have found that works for me. I use an incase, and I know some people hate neoprene, but I don't because I only use it to provide SOME protection until I can get it into the actual safe carrying case- which for me is then properly secured in a Timbuk2 or Waterfield bag or aluminum briefcase- all of which are easily made safe with the right sleeve. I have heard there is one sleeve now with memory foam- which might be better than neoprene, which I would love to try out.

To sum up- nothing is really needed during usage if you have control (and good hands), except maybe for a slim skin. IMO a sleeve is a necessity for scratch-resistance, some padding and minor impact resistance during casual transport. And then for additional padding while INSIDE your final method of carry.

I have been experimenting with this system for literally 25 years, through almost 20 different Apple/Mac laptops and for me I have found nothing better. Now I take my MBA everywhere I go, to filthy job sites, on the subway in NYC, on planes and in cars & trucks everywhere and it has never failed me yet. Padded sleeve and a secure carrying case/briefcase or bag. YMMV.

Skin or film- if desired for scratch resistance during usage, or appearance.
Padded slip case- required IMO
Carrying case with method to secure the laptop in sleeve inside, and to prevent weights from crushing, or damage from dropping.

Last edited:

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
wow thanks for the long post pointdexter, it's clear you have put a lot of thought into this. As per your input and everyone else's, I decided to not get a snap on case and instead just bought a 10 dollar manilla envelope sleeve which I will probably put into my old 2006 macbook incase sleeve.

BTW: "I have had three broken in my ownership. Once a child in a Starbucks poured a latte onto my keyboard while the parents laughed. Don't ask."

sounds like such an interesting good story too :-(

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
wow thanks for the long post pointdexter, it's clear you have put a lot of thought into this. As per your input and everyone else's, I decided to not get a snap on case and instead just bought a 10 dollar manilla envelope sleeve which I will probably put into my old 2006 macbook incase sleeve.

BTW: "I have had three broken in my ownership. Once a child in a Starbucks poured a latte onto my keyboard while the parents laughed. Don't ask."

sounds like such an interesting good story too :-(

You're welcome. I love the MBA, and if I can somehow help somebody else avoid such misery as a broken screen or dents, I'll always try!

Spilled actually. I walked back over to my chair and table, and an adult was poised over my MBA wiping a copious amount of what was plainly heavily creamed coffee from the keyboard with the sleeve of his blazer. :eek: Not absorbing it with a towel or napkin, to save the computer, just trying to get rid of the evidence quickly. Everybody around me pointed at his demon seed who was still spinning, obliviously, arms out like a propeller, whirling like a dervish. Ahem. Parents denied everything, and then laughed at my anger, despite the liquid dripping from his jacket, and thereupon got chased out of the place and never came back. Luckily I had SafeWare.

lovefang

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
i am thinking to get one,like this
1-1.jpg

skyton

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2005
england
I much prefer sleeves personally.
I tend to be super careful with laptops so havent managed to dent or damage one yet.

Picked up a Hard Graft sleeve for it. They are pricey, but very nice quality

optmi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
I much prefer a sleeve. Make sure you get a light one that's durable. The untype sleeve is the one I recommend based on my own usage and looks but there's some other good ones out on the market.

yetieater

macrumors regular
May 6, 2007
USA
I carry my MBA inside of an envelope. I'm all about showmanship so I figured I'd learn from the greatest. Steve Jobs, here's to you.

manila-envelope.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.