Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Classic Mac Game "Glider" Coming to iPhone

Glider is a classic Mac game that John Calhoun originally released in 1988. Several versions of the game were released, culminating with Glider Pro, distributed by Casady & Greene, the now-defunct Mac software firm.

In the game, users "fly" a paper airplane through houses filled with obstacles. Planes avoid obstacles, while using sporadically placed air vents and other items to gain lift and make their way through the house.

Calhoun recently left Apple after 16 years and has been working to port the game to iOS as Glider Classic. TouchArcade has more about the upcoming game:
Quote:
Glider Classic features tap-based controls and is a universal application that runs natively on both the iPhone and the iPad. In the first release, iPhone 3GS and 3G iPod touch devices will be the minimal supported platforms, though earlier devices will gain support in an update soon to follow. Calhoun indicates that a Mac App Store release of Glider Classic is also likely at some point, given that Glider Pro for the Mac is PowerPC-only and will not run under OS X Lion. In fact, we might one day see a desktop "house editor" emerge, allowing players to create their own houses for both the iOS and the likely Mac OS X versions of the game.
Glider Classic should arrive on the App Store this week for $0.99.

Article Link: Classic Mac Game "Glider" Coming to iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:19 PM   #2
RyanR.
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

But will it run on iPhone 5 and iOS 5 that is the question.

.....come on it had to be said :P .....
RyanR. is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:20 PM   #3
BWhaler
macrumors 68000

This is fantastic news as I loved that game.

Now, all we need is the Myst series on the iPad.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:23 PM   #4
AmbiguousNinja
macrumors regular

Now port it BACK to Mac OS X Lion
AmbiguousNinja is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:42 PM   #5
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Classic game, along with his Glypha which I started porting to OS X/64-bit years ago but never completed. Now I'm motivated to finish it
kainjow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:03 PM   #6
hchung
macrumors 6502a

OMG I'M SO BUYING THAT!

Glider 4.0 was secretly the reason I really wanted a Mac when I was in middle school. I did finish the house but also went on and collected every user-made Glider house on AOL I could get my hands on.
hchung is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:33 PM   #7
StrudelTurnover
macrumors regular

Every time I see a "Paper airplane" game, I secretly hope it's a Glider homage/re-release and not just a genre knockoff. Though some are pretty good.
Getting a new iTunes card and buying this asap.
StrudelTurnover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:35 PM   #8
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Can't wait for this. I'm even surprised by the article comments in one of the things linked ... saying the game lost its charm with PRO. I really enjoyed that version in particular - Slumberland was indeed epic, although I really want to know where they get 403 rooms from, I never managed to explore more than 289 in a clear - there was one more I could visit but then could not complete because of those damned microwaves!

Porting it "back to the mac" would indeed be an awesome completion of the process - a case of "now the circle is complete!"
MartiNZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
accessoriesguy
macrumors 6502a

how clever, these games remind me somewhat of the NES, some games were very basic and simple but a lot of fun. I liked the creativity with the electricity and balloons as obstacle!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:48 PM   #10
PeteyX
macrumors newbie

While we're waiting, there's an excellent Flash version of Glider at http://www.ridiculopathy.com/games.php?gamename=glider
PeteyX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:09 PM   #11
toddybody

OMFG. Ive been googling' the hell out of "iOS Glider Pro" for the past year. SOOOOOO glad they're porting this.

Last edited by toddybody; Sep 27, 2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Dur, they are having an iPad version.
toddybody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:51 PM   #12
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a

Love this game. Hope it does well.

I keep checking to see if my all time favourite Mac game, Pararena gets ported to iOS. That would be an awesome iPad app if it could do POV player mode…

Until then… love Glider!
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:37 PM   #13
Doctor Q
Administrator

It's funny how nostalgia never lets a good ol' game fade away. Now we need the Glider Castlevania Pong edition.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:51 PM   #14
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Apple should be supporting all OSs and software back to the Apple I in emulation. They have over $70 Billion in cash. It would be an easy thing for them to do. Then that tremendous library of old software and data would continue to be available. Instead what they're doing is abandoning it. Shame on Apple.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:22 PM   #15
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

It came out in NZ, although I still haven't seen a release thread at TA! Controls are nice and simple, gameplay just as awesome as it ever was!
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:04 PM   #16
toddybody

Just downloaded...cant wait to play
toddybody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:49 AM   #17
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Back in the day this (OS 9) this was one of the games that just defined the Mac. Similar to Marathon. Games that every Mac gamer back in the day had. I so wish more of these old mac games would be released for current Gen Apple hardware.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:17 AM   #18
wolfshades
macrumors Demi-God

This is great! The most frustrating game ever - and now it's on IOS. Just had to download it. I *will* defeat you Glider.
wolfshades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:38 PM   #19
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

LOL it is frustrating. The iOS gamer in me wants to complain about lack of savepoints. Then the oldschool kicks in and we come back to the TA discussion about Another World / Out of this World - how short would this Glider game be with saves!

Anyway, my highscore is just over 7k so far. I got to yet another power plug puzzle, and only the second extra life (stingy!) that was touch and go for getting and living through it. I do love the methodology, I remember from PRO, you just keep getting a little bit further each time, and there is so far to go!

This version doesn't seem to let up though, no easy runs to break things up, like the sewer jaunt in Slumberland. Also no hidden bonuses that I've found, and of course no jingling clocks! I did find some rubber bands though, nice to see more stuff coming into play as you get further.
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:30 PM   #20
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
As others have pointed out, Glider Classic has been released.

http://appshopper.com/games/glider-classic

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion