Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:25 PM   #1
SawceBaws
macrumors member

iMac Suddenly Extremely Slow!

Well, I've had my iMac since August, and it's been working fine. I've been doing plenty of editing, browsing, etc. It's a Mid 2011 27' i7 with 4GB of Ram, and a 1TB HDD.

Today I was playing some music in iTunes, and I noticed that the temperature of the mac was at 50 degrees c. I waited a while, and suddenly iTunes began to freeze. No biggie, I quit iTunes and life went on.

Tonight, the same thing happened, but now, it seems the iMac is permanently slowed down. The temperature is back to normal (30 Degrees), but everything is super slow and freezes all the time. I can't open an application or a few pictures without it freezing with the spinning beach ball, and me ultimately having to do a hard restart...only to find that the problem still persists.

So, just to clarify, my iMac was working perfectly fine, and now suddenly, everything is lagging and freezing, no matter how many times I restart it. Im insanely annoyed. I just turned the iMac off to see if it's fixed itself by tomorrow.

I'd really appreciate advice. Please, help!
SawceBaws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:13 PM   #2
mr.steevo
macrumors 6502a

Calling Apple Care will probably result in you having to take it in.

My guess is the hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced. It happens.
mr.steevo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:15 PM   #3
heimbachae
macrumors regular

is that degrees celcius? otherwise i'm gonna have to ask how you do that because my 27" never runs anywhere near that cool.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:11 AM   #4
SawceBaws
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Calling Apple Care will probably result in you having to take it in.

My guess is the hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced. It happens.
Yes, exactly. The iMac's literally become unusable, even when I completely deleted all data from the HDD and restored the OS.

What's more is that when I tried to run Disk Utility (edit to clarify: I ran Disk Utility from the OS X Install DVD), and tried to "verify and repair" my disk, it said that "it could not repair this disk", which pretty much means my HDD is defective.

I called an Apple Authorized Reseller (only thing close to an Apple Store here where I live), and they told me that indeed it seem like a hard drive failure. They said it would take a maximum of 48 hours for them to replace it. It's still under warranty of course, but I have to pay a service charge...oh well.

As I mentioned, the iMac is completely unusable now, with the cursor freezing and the finder giving me errors when I try to open it.

Last edited by SawceBaws; Oct 2, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Texran
macrumors regular

You shouldn't have't to pay anything.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:41 AM   #6
WAM2
macrumors 6502a

You better not Pay anything, looks like Apple Recalled the harddrive inside your mac. http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/
WAM2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:11 AM   #7
Gurutech
macrumors 6502

If it's under Applecare, you don't have to pay any "service fee".
It should be totally free.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:52 AM   #8
mr.steevo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawceBaws View Post
It's still under warranty of course, but I have to pay a service charge...oh well.
I'd speak to Apple and ask how this can be repaired without paying a service charge.
mr.steevo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes, exactly. The iMac's literally become unusable, even when I completely deleted all data from the HDD and restored the OS.

What's more is that when I tried to run Disk Utility (which took me 20 minutes to open), and tried to "verify and repair" my disk, it said that "it could not repair this disk", which pretty much means my HDD is defective.

I called an Apple Authorized Reseller (only thing close to an Apple Store here where I live), and they told me that indeed it seem like a hard drive failure. They said it would take a maximum of 48 hours for them to replace it. It's still under warranty of course, but I have to pay a service charge...oh well.

As I mentioned, the iMac is completely unusable now, with the cursor freezing and the finder giving me errors when I try to open it.
It sounds like the reseller is trying to make some extra money off of warantee work. I would call AppleCare and explain that the reseller wants to charge you a service fee.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 01:42 AM   #10
SawceBaws
macrumors member

But are you guys completely sure its a HDD problem? I don't think its the logic board, it's not got any of the symptoms.

Really frustrated, why MY iMac...2 weeks old!
Old Oct 1, 2011, 01:18 PM   #11
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Quote:
What's more is that when I tried to run Disk Utility (which took me 20 minutes to open), and tried to "verify and repair" my disk, it said that "it could not repair this disk", which pretty much means my HDD is defective.
You can't ever run the "Repair Disk" option while booted in the OS. You have to be booted from DVD or external OS. You can Repair Permissions but not the hard disk. It absolutely does not mean your HDD is defective.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 01:37 PM   #12
SawceBaws
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbothaus View Post
You can't ever run the "Repair Disk" option while booted in the OS. You have to be booted from DVD or external OS. You can Repair Permissions but not the hard disk. It absolutely does not mean your HDD is defective.
Yeah, I ran it while I was booted from the DVD. It told me that It couldn't repair the disk, and that I had to erase everything and reinstall the OS, which I did, but it was still the same when I reinstalled.

I'm 99% sure it's a HDD problem.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 03:39 PM   #13
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Quote:
Yeah, I ran it while I was booted from the DVD. It told me that It couldn't repair the disk, and that I had to erase everything and reinstall the OS, which I did, but it was still the same when I reinstalled.

I'm 99% sure it's a HDD problem.
You must have the Seagate?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Catalystgrrl
macrumors newbie

Thank You!!

Turns out our entire department bought these bunk iMacs and are due new hard drives. Good thing this happened to me today or I wouldn't have found this forum and alerted everyone!

Especially with the recall deadline of April 12, 2013.

Thank you so much to the person who posted the recall link. Hope karma repays you in kind~!

( :
Catalystgrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:22 PM   #15
bmcgrath
macrumors 65816

Defintely sounds like the hard drive has carked it.
bmcgrath is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac