Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
Hi there i mistakenly deleted all my pictures from my MBA (from the trash as well). Is there a way i can recover them? Maybe a 3dr party solution?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Have You No

Hi there i mistakenly deleted all my pictures from my MBA (from the trash as well). Is there a way i can recover them? Maybe a 3dr party solution?

Time Machine backups? If not, I can't think of an app for this. If you do have backups, just return to a day prior to your mistake.

----------

You could try a program like this: http://www.macrecovery.net/

Also if you have a time machine backup that is another way to recover it.

If you don't have a time machine backup this is a good lesson in the need to have a time machine backup drive.

Cross posted......typing as you hit post!

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
Unfortunately i dont have a time machine back up. Is there a free program i can recover those files with? Most of them are 100$ and they dont even guarantee full recovery

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Unfortunately i dont have a time machine back up. Is there a free program i can recover those files with? Most of them are 100$ and they dont even guarantee full recovery

If the files are worth it, $100 shouldn't be a hurdle. With the free recovery programs, you'll be getting exactly what you paid for.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I found this: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

I haven't used it, but it's worth a look.

Nice find, Pipper99. Looks like a handy program.

One note as I looked at the info, it says "while using PhotoRec, you must not choose to write the recovered files to the same partition they were stored on" (emphasis mine) -- point being the OP would need to have an external drive or sufficiently large SD card available to hold the deleted photos.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
Data Rescue 3 is by far THE best solution that exists!

Recovered around 30GB of lost photos with it i never thought i would see again. And i had even over written the drive before i tried to recover.

Wow.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Is it a 2011 MBA? If so you may be out of luck as the SSD is TRIM enabled, The command completely purges the data it affects, typical data recovery is made impossible. I am no expert on SSDs so hopefully I am wrong in your case

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.