Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plodkiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
I am in the process of possibly buying a G5 2.3 dual core machine. I was wondering if I took a couple of memory modules from my PC, DDR2 800, would they work in the G5?

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
It will clock down to 533MHz, but you will want to buy 533MHz RAM.
otherwise it may get temperamental and may cause kernel panics.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
It will clock down to 533MHz, but you will want to buy 533MHz RAM.
otherwise it may get temperamental and may cause kernel panics.

too high RAM can potentially cause kernal panics? I thought the motherboard would monitor this but I guess that too can make sense.

I'll keep that in mind during troubleshooting.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
It should be fine. Just don't mix and match different pairs... obviously they need to be installed in pairs for dual-channel operation (doesn't operate in single channel..) but it might not work even mixing groups of two different speeds.

You might want to consider a Quad G5, by the way. Basically twice the power, and not much more money these days.

plodkiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Well I bit the bullet I have bought a 2.3 dual core......I know a quad core would have been not much more but did not a liquid cooled machine. I will try the PC memory in it and will be sure the match the pairs on installation.....it will give me a total of 4 gb which should be enough...

Thx for the replies

plodkiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Well the powermac arrived with tiger installed....booted up really quick and seems to run nicely hooked up to my 1680x1050 monitor. I put in the memory chips from my pc and it recognized them right away with no problem...

One thing I did notice that wasn't in the auction though...it has the airport and bluetooth module fitted bit of a bonus....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.