Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

instantwalrus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Hello,

When I log-in to Windows 7 in Bootcamp on my MacBook (specs at bottom), I get the dreaded Blue Screen of Death about 20-30 seconds after I see the desktop. The error refers to something about the cache manager, but disappears after a few seconds so I can't read it all. This doesn't happen in Safe Mode.

I've had Windows installed since July 5th, and it's worked perfectly until yesterday morning.

I've looked all over for solutions, and I have tried deleting faulty drivers that were referenced on other websites – nv*.sys and nvlddmkm.sys. I was able to delete the first driver by using the Command Prompt, but when I try to delete the 3 instances of nvlddmkm.sys, access is denied.

Another site recommended changing the AppleHFS.sys driver to AppleHFS_keep.sys. That didn't seem to help either.

:( Please help!

:apple: SPECS:
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory
NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256mb graphics card
Mac OS X Lion with Windows 7 Ultimate running in Bootcamp

----------

..and I would much rather not reinstall Windows 7 as I have a multitude of files and installed games I'd like to keep.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Don't delete random files just because some forum posts you found on Google told you to. Access is denied because the two files you tried to delete were owned by TrustedInstaller and were in the WinSxS and DriverStore folder (both of which are managed by Windows and should not be manually edited).

Anyway, in my experience the cache manager crash has to do with Apple's HFS+ driver. See below on how to remove the driver;
How to remove AppleHFS & AppleMNT Drivers:
  1. Start in Safe Mode (Hold F8 before the Windows loading screen)
  2. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
  3. Rename AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
  4. Restart
  5. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
  6. Delete AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
  7. In the Start Menu search box type "regedit" and press Enter
  8. In Regedit delete -
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleHFS]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleMNT]
If your Windows install is working after this, I recommend you uninstall and then reinstall your video card drivers.

Also what version of OS X are your running, what version of the Boot Camp driver package did you install and did you install any third party HFS+ drivers?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have been having the same problem with Windows 8 and the Cache_Manager crash. I finally narrowed it down that it only occurred after installing the Apple BootCamp drivers (latest download).

I searched and found similar instructions as shown above for removing AppleHFS and AppleMNT drivers. After following those instructions, I have had no further issues with this system crash on both systems I am dealing with.

This is reviving an old thread, but I am sure others are still having the problems, so hope this helps.

-howard

jose14

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
Ive followed these exact steps and still get the BSOD. What do you think is the problem? Kinda frustrated here..

----------

The file bscsisda.sys is mentioned on the bluescreen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.