Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:42 AM   #1
ephailey
macrumors member

Using iTunes account with more than one iPhone

I have an iPhone 4. Probably will get an iPhone 5, if it exists.

About to buy iPhones for three kids.

1. Can I use one iTunes account for all of us?

2. If I want all of us to have an expensive app, like the TomTom GPS, do I have to buy it four times? How does iTunes keep up with this?

thanks.
ephailey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:54 AM   #2
auxsend
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to auxsend Send a message via Skype™ to auxsend
Usually you can install the app on any device that is authenticated with your account. I don't know if Apple still has a device limit for store purchases, but you should be able to do all the devices with one account with little to no problem.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

From http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html :

Quote:
APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) You may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control.
Edit: If you wanted to give each child their own Apple account (e.g. so that they could each have their own budget for music, etc.), the policy goes on to say:

Quote:
(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on a compatible iOS Device.

Last edited by FreakinEurekan; Sep 29, 2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Thought of more stuff to say
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4
itsjared
macrumors regular

that's great that we can use multiple ios devices but what about joining itunes accounts?

I just got married, I'd like to put my account and my wife's together and sync them to the same MacBook.

Is this doable?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:01 PM   #5
tlbwriter
macrumors regular

We use multiple devices on one account - it works great for music and apps, just make sure your device is set to sync only the items you want (we each have our own personal playlist). The only thing I haven't figured out is how to have separate address books, though I'll admit I haven't worked very hard.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:08 PM   #6
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbwriter View Post
We use multiple devices on one account - it works great for music and apps, just make sure your device is set to sync only the items you want (we each have our own personal playlist). The only thing I haven't figured out is how to have separate address books, though I'll admit I haven't worked very hard.
Yeap same here! Now I just can't wait to merge my Apple ID with my MobileMe/iCloud account so I won't have a big mess.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:43 PM   #7
CSMchris376
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjared View Post
that's great that we can use multiple ios devices but what about joining itunes accounts?

I just got married, I'd like to put my account and my wife's together and sync them to the same MacBook.

Is this doable?
At this time it isn't, however there has been some rumor that it will be available in the near future. You might want to search this site, as I believe the news story I read was on this site about merging iTunes accounts.
CSMchris376 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:14 PM   #8
pittman87
macrumors regular

Does anyone know how this is going to work with iCloud? My girlfriends's MacBook and iPhone are authorized on my Apple ID. My main concern is the Photo Stream feature. I don't want her pictures showing up in my Photo Stream.
pittman87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:19 PM   #9
ephailey
macrumors member

Follow up question

If my kids are away at college and their computers are included in the five authorized computer count for iTunes, can they sync apps like TomTom GPS on their own iPhone without having to buy the app again.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:58 PM   #10
ephailey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephailey View Post
If my kids are away at college and their computers are included in the five authorized computer count for iTunes, can they sync apps like TomTom GPS on their own iPhone without having to buy the app again.
Any thoughts on this question?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:05 PM   #11
acfusion29
Banned

Send a message via AIM to acfusion29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephailey View Post
they should be able to.

just sign into the iTunes account on that computer and sync the app.
acfusion29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:28 PM   #12
Nedlman
macrumors newbie

I hadmy itunes acct. setup and then added my wifes iphone and all my music games etc were synced to her phone and i got about 30 dollars worth of charges from itunes. Not sure you can buy the app one time and share it on multiple phones. I had to setup itunes as mentioned above where u pick what u want synced. I would imagine u would get charged each time it is downloaded to each phone. Not exactly sure!
Nedlman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone