Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniirwan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Hi everyone. Anyone using the Canon 8800f scanner with a Mac running Lion?

I've recently switched to an iMac from a PC, and I've downloaded & installed all the latest Canon drivers for the 8800f for Mac OS X Lion from their website, (http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010501.asp), but it's just the driver & MP Navigator EX that's available. With just these two installed, I can't invoke Canon Scangear using Lightroom or Picasa, etc. Scangear is what I use to scan my 35mm film and it has been a breeze using it on the PC, but I'm getting frustrated on it's unavailability on the Mac.

I've tried looking here http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0035053.asp?model=, but only Scangear for Mac OSX 10.6 is available, not 10.7.

What do you guys use to invoke ScanGear using on OSX 10.7, if at all? If not, what scanning software do you use?

Would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Zh2

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
In a house in England.
Hi,

Try this...

Make sure Scanner is connected ( and powered up ) Then...

Black Apple > System Preferences > Print & Scan.

That will hopefully allow you to access the scanner.

Hope that helps some.

( It seems to be another known issue with some Canon gear )

Regards.

Z

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
How about installing Scangear 10.6? Lion doesn't automatically require updates for all printers and scanners.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
If worst comes to worst and you can't find a Canon solution, VueScan definitely works in Lion (I use it every day), support the 8800F, and will provide vastly superior results, anyway.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_8800f#DriversAndSoftware

What do you guys use to invoke ScanGear using on OSX 10.7, if at all? If not, what scanning software do you use?

To reiterate your OP, Canon supports your scanner with a Lion-compatible driver and an update to its MP Navigator EX utility released on August 5, 2011. The MP Navigator EX Opener utility is downloadable from the Lion support area. Therefore, it would also appear to be compatible with Lion. You have each of these. Good.

In the interest of full disclosure, I own a Canon CanoScan scanner. However, I do virtually all of my scanning using Apple's wonderful bundled Image Capture utility. Third-party applications use the manufacturer's atrocious TWAIN UI. I also do not use any of the manufacturer's utilities. You have numerous options from Picasa and others to upload your photographs to the Picasa website. Presumably, Scangear was not updated because it is obsolete and better options are available. Move on.

daniirwan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Hi,

Try this...

Make sure Scanner is connected ( and powered up ) Then...

Black Apple > System Preferences > Print & Scan.

That will hopefully allow you to access the scanner.

Hope that helps some.

( It seems to be another known issue with some Canon gear )

Regards.

Z

Thanks for the tip, Z..but this doesn't do what I need the scanner to do..and that is to scan film. However, I think it'd be great for scanning documents and such.

How about installing Scangear 10.6? Lion doesn't automatically require updates for all printers and scanners.

I already have, but after running the installer (.dmg), nothing happens and no Scangear icon was added to my Launchpad nor my Applications folder. No idea what happened. :(

If worst comes to worst and you can't find a Canon solution, VueScan definitely works in Lion (I use it every day), support the 8800F, and will provide vastly superior results, anyway.

Back in my Windows days, I tried Vuescan but opted for Scangear instead because I found Vuescan to be quite clumsy and the menus are too convoluted. Now, after your suggestion, I have tried Vuescan on my Mac and it seems to be doing quite a good job. Scangear is still better for 'batch' scanning of films though. Thank you!

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_8800f#DriversAndSoftwareTo reiterate your OP, Canon supports your scanner with a Lion-compatible driver and an update to its MP Navigator EX utility released on August 5, 2011. The MP Navigator EX Opener utility is downloadable from the Lion support area. Therefore, it would also appear to be compatible with Lion. You have each of these. Good.

In the interest of full disclosure, I own a Canon CanoScan scanner. However, I do virtually all of my scanning using Apple's wonderful bundled Image Capture utility. Third-party applications use the manufacturer's atrocious TWAIN UI. I also do not use any of the manufacturer's utilities. You have numerous options from Picasa and others to upload your photographs to the Picasa website. Presumably, Scangear was not updated because it is obsolete and better options are available. Move on.

Thanks, but as I mentioned above, Image Capture can't be used to scan photographic film. It'd work fine for documents, etc I think, but not film. Thanks anyway for your help :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Errr...no one. I tried it for myself. Can't scan film using Image Capture. There's no option for it in the interface...i.e "Source: film" or "Source: platen".
Which scanner is it that does not allow you to scan film with Image Capture?

daniirwan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
The Canon 8800f. Seriously, just try it. See if you can. Why not write a walkthrough if you really think it's possible.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
The Canon 8800f. Seriously, just try it. See if you can. Why not write a walkthrough if you really think it's possible.
So you came up with the notion that Image Capture cannot scan film based on your experience with one single scanner? Having said that, I have no idea what your problem is. You have a flatbed scanner. I don't have the CanoScan 8800F, but I do own a CanoScan 8400F. Like your CanoScan 8800F, my CanoScan 8400F includes film guides. Place your film in the guides and scan. What is it about your scanner that makes this impossible?

daniirwan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Ok then MisterMe: based from my experience, I cannot scan photographic film using Image Capture with the Canon 8800f. There. More precise. Happy?

Do you have any processed film at hand right now? If you do (which I think you don't), then place it on your scanner & then try to scan it using your eberlubbin' Image Capture.

It WILL scan, but the resulting file will still be a negative..not a positive image. The colors will all be reversed. This is not the way it works with a dedicated scanning software.

pink tree

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
london
Cannon 8800F (and other scanners) + Mountain Lion

Thanks, Edge 100, for the VueScan tip. If it proves to be the end of OS-upgrade hell, it will be worth every cent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.