Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobeo6253

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
before i start i want to say that i have been following this and other mac sites for a while but have not registered because i feel like i have nothing to contribute to the forums but now that i have some "info" i decided to register.

One of my ex-coworkers dropped by my work place and we started talking about the upcoming sprint iphone. She works at best buy and I believe in the cell phone department. she said that they already had a meeting about the iphone and that sprint is getting what she called the iphone 4.5 on the 5th and the iphone 5 in 2012. if you really think about it it sounds right. all the leaked parts have been for the "4.5" and nothing for the 5. it kind of makes you wonder. any thoughts?

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Sorry, but Best Buy representatives are not a reliable source of information.

Why? Have you worked at BB? I know someone who worked at a BB Mobile store and gave extremely accurate info to me before. Especially this close to an unveiling, more info is out there.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
lol Worst Buy.

Best Buy is where all the noobs play and get ripped off from the extreme markups.

Amazon > Best Buy

Micro Center > Best Buy

Frys > Best Buy

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Why? Have you worked at BB? I know someone who worked at a BB Mobile store and gave extremely accurate info to me before. Especially this close to an unveiling, more info is out there.

No, but it's been common knowledge for awhile that Best Buy employees aren't that reliable. Maybe sometimes, but they aren't ones who generally produce accurate information.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
lets put it this way

a Best Buy employee is the equivalent of a McDonalds worker in the tech world.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
As a person who used to work for Best Buy, take it from me, you never, ever, ever know ANYTHING of an Apple release before it happens. People talk all the time about what might happen thanks to websites like this one, but Best Buy employees, like Apple Employees, are never told anything. In fact, not even Best Buy COPORATE is told what is coming out or when until it is announced to all vendors by Apple, which is the day of the keynote. You can easily know this because nobody on the corporate staff has been required to sign an NDA by Apple, whereas every other company having to deal with anything even remotely Apple related has to sign NDA's by the truckload.

Theres not a chance your friend has any idea as to whats happening with certainty. I can guarantee you that. She might be right thanks to rumors and coincidence, but its nothing that actually came from Apple.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
As a person who used to work for Best Buy, take it from me, you never, ever, ever know ANYTHING of an Apple release before it happens. People talk all the time about what might happen thanks to websites like this one, but Best Buy employees, like Apple Employees, are never told anything. In fact, not even Best Buy COPORATE is told what is coming out or when until it is announced to all vendors by Apple, which is the day of the keynote. You can easily know this because nobody on the corporate staff has been required to sign an NDA by Apple, whereas every other company having to deal with anything even remotely Apple related has to sign NDA's by the truckload.

Theres not a chance your friend has any idea as to whats happening with certainty. I can guarantee you that. She might be right thanks to rumors and coincidence, but its nothing that actually came from Apple.

Exactly, no one but people high up in Apple know about what's coming till it's actually announced.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

God, I hate newbies.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
No, but it's been common knowledge for awhile that Best Buy employees aren't that reliable. Maybe sometimes, but they aren't ones who generally produce accurate information.

Like I said, I've been given dead on info from a friend a couple of times. I'd agree, that a long way out from release of something, they'll know nothing. But the closer to release we get, the more I'd be inclined to think it could be true. Best Buy doesn't just get a new product out of the blue, they know it's coming.

Not saying I believe it. Could be a completely made up story. Just saying it's possible

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Like I said, I've been given dead on info from a friend a couple of times. I'd agree, that a long way out from release of something, they'll know nothing. But the closer to release we get, the more I'd be inclined to think it could be true. Best Buy doesn't just get a new product out of the blue, they know it's coming.

Not saying I believe it. Could be a completely made up story. Just saying it's possible
And it's possible that the bank f'd up my bank account number and put a billion dollars in there.

Is that shit ever going to happen? No.

Nukemkb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2006
Columbia, SC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

God, I hate newbies.

Well, you haven't been here a year yet! ;)

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Like others have said. Best Buy may very well have advanced info on product launches.... but not Apple product launches. Not even Best Buy corporate is going to get info from Apple until after the keynote. The only way a Best Buy employee would know anything before a release is if they happen to read one of the rumor sites.

Best Buy doesn't just get a new product out of the blue, they know it's coming.

Most products, yes... Apple products, no!

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009

Actually, they do get a product out of the blue. The reasoning behind this is because Best Buy does not in fact buy the items from Apple and resell them. The 4'x6' square of the Apple table inside of The Best Buy store is actually OWNED by Apple. Thats why you go in and see a windows laptop that has the Best Buy software crap, but never on a Mac. Apple is solely responsible for what is placed on their displays and own them 100%. Aplle certified people come in to put up the displays and make them look the way they want, Best Buy personnell cannot touch it except to clean it. Therefore, Apple has free reign to pop up one day and say "Here you go! You are selling this now!" without Best Buy's prior knowledge.

Apple does not give out any information at any time unless an NDA is signed, and even then they rarely give out info. If they did, leaks would be a dime a dozen. Not even Apple employees know what is happening until the day it happens, so dont expect Best Buy to have knowledge of it. Best Buy is just a tiny company along for the ride that is the Apple Experience, and especially with what happened last year with the iPhone 4, Best Buy is going to make absolutely sure that no information is going to go anywhere where it can be leaked unless THEY WANT IT.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Apple likes to keep things simple... iPhone 5 with iOS 6... that wouldn't make any sense.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Apple likes to keep things simple... iPhone 5 with iOS 6... that wouldn't make any sense.

Exactly! I see the leaked iPhone 4S inventory thing as even more proof that they're releasing two new iPhones: iPhone 5 and 4S. Why wouldn't you name your new iPhone 5: It has the A5 chip and iOS 5.

Since iPhone 4 has so far been the best selling design for Apple, I suspect they'd want to keep that design around for another year or so. But then, there's the iPhone 5, which celebrates Apple as the innovative company we know, and the tech leader.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Go ask Walmart Employees. They will know more than Best I mean worst buy employees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.