Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulsabo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's happened before, some time ago. Not sure why. I suspect it may have been some free file or download I may have saved to my HD. I recently installed a second hard drive ATA 100 7200rpm 120gig seagate drive into my mac. Seemed perfectly fine for weeks now. But over the past few days I noticed that the icon for that second HD is moved to a lower spot on my desktop upon startup. I've even use Mac Janitor to do some daily, weekly, and the monthly cleanup. Didn't seem to make a difference.Makes me suspect it may be a file of some sort. I got some free Garageband loops from another site. I tried removing the file/files folder to the desk top itself to see if it would make any difference. But the same thing happened. Anyone ever have this happen to them? Don't believe it to be a virus or anything serious. However, something is just not right. The apple site is of no help. The only similar thing that could have made it happen... if I remember to the last incident, is I was saving garageband files? Now I've been saving the work files on the second drive? When I just restarted I got what I believe to have been a kernel panic. Had to restart the computer. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
My desktop icons have moved around on startup since Jaguar.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
It's theoretically possible there's a way around this, but so far as I know OSX has done this for a long time and it's just the way things work. Can't say I know why, but most users I know just put things back where they want them after startup.

You could try using the terminal to delete the .DS_Store file in the Desktop directory to "reset" things, but I doubt that'll fix it.

paulsabo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Problem solved. I merely went to View, preference, and set "lock to grid" after cleaning up the desktop first...of course. Worked liked a charm. Simple solution to a simple problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.