iPhone 3GS - Charging is not supported by this accessory - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:20 AM   #1
x-Laura
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS - Charging is not supported by this accessory

I have recently bought a used iPhone 3GS. The phone is up and running, except for one minor issue.

When I connect the iPhone to my Windows PC, I get the message "Charging is not supported by this accessory" with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark. It will successfully sync but simply won't charge.

I have tried various USB ports and different cables, all official Apple. I have tried restoring the iPhone, reinstalling iTunes etc.

It will however charge from my work laptop, so I am investigating the set up of my USB ports on my PC.

Any other idea's?
x-Laura is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:44 AM   #2
Hey!
macrumors member

it's probably problem with your computer
Hey! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:55 AM   #3
energetic
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to energetic Send a message via Skype™ to energetic
Do you connect your device directly to the USB port? If you are using ie an USB cable extender you may have such an issue. A fellow user of a 3GS had the same problem and removed that extender.
energetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:47 AM   #4
skyton
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey! View Post
it's probably problem with your computer
Agreed.

Is it an older machine?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:07 AM   #5
Stealthipad
Banned

Older computers need to be TOLD to crank up the voltage.

I know on a Blackberry I had to install the RIM software before my Blackberry would charge. The software installation told the computer to increase the voltage to the USB ports.

I do not think this is a problem with newer computers. I know my iMacs charge anything.
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:13 AM   #6
thewitt
macrumors 68000

As others have said it's the available power on your USB port. Some computers will increase this with a change in settings best done through a number of free utilities floating around the web. Some will never increase however so charging will never be an option.

-t
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:53 PM   #7
accessoriesguy
macrumors 6502a

the iPhone requires at least USB2.0 (which is the current standard) most computers you see walking around today are USB 2.0, you have a few people with laptops that have 3.0, but only much older machines still have classic USB. Classic USB has a lower wattage that prevents the charging. I believe USB 3.0 has a higher wattage than 3.0, one of the reasons why it allows for faster speeds.

Sucks, but at least your iPhone and cables are fine!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone